Friday 29 April 2016

Y is for You!

And so we are on the home straight
Only two letters left
I'm so glad to be almost finished this challenge
I am notorious for starting things
And being all enthusiastic for the first ten minutes
Then my energy gives out
And I promptly give said activity up
So completing this challenge is great for me 
To actually see something through until the end 
No matter how hard it gets 

So yes
Y is for You
As in being yourself 
In your full
Technicolor 
Bat shit crazy way
It's taken me a long time to be comfortable being myself 
And I'm still a work in progress 
Today for example 
I was walking down my road 
With my dogs 
And I looked down and realised that my trousers were on back to front 
A few years ago 
If that happened to me
I would have been mortified
But today 
I had a little chuckle to myself 
And carried on walking
Not giving a hoot who saw me
I mean 
In the grand scheme of things 
Who actually cares?
Not me anyway

I guess we have different faces for different situations 
Our work persona
Family persona 
Girlfriend persona 
Sibling persona 
We wear many hats 
So being ourselves is a real treat
I covered up my true self for so long 
That it becomes hard to even identify your true self 
And isn't it so liberating to be around someone who is completely at ease within themselves?
I find that I get on with some people and some People not so much
But that's life 
You can't like every one
And everyone can't like you

I've spent my whole life trying to fit in
Trying to be part of the 'cool kids'
At school 
Fitting in seemed the be all and end all
But then I grew up and realised that it's more fun to be different 
And not to follow the crowd 
As an adult 
We can seek out others like us if we want 
There is always someone who will get us 
Understand us 
Even when the majority of the population doesn't 
Being yourself is so important I think
Because pretending to be someone you're not is exhausting 
I've been there 
It's not fun
In fact it's soul destroying 
I am happy to be me 
I'm doing ok
Given what I've been through
I'm not doing too badly at all
I try to be a good person
I do my best to be a person of integrity 
Yes
I've made a lot of mistakes over the years 
But I've learned a lot too
And I'm now in a good place 
The best I've been in a long time 
I want to maintain that 
And live my life 
As well as I can 
I enjoy being me 
I am curious 
Inquisitive 
I have a big heart 
And lots of love to give 
We as people 
And as women 
Should be ourselves 
We are bright 
Talented 
We have so much to offer 
We are the next generation
The future 
The planet is in safe hands 

Do you think It's important to be yourself?

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was only me who managed to put on my trousers back to front and not realise till I was out in public! ;0)
    And no, it didn't bother me in the least. Just went to the toilet and changed them round, and told a friend about it afterward to make her laugh (it worked).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      I'm the same
      Couldn't give a hoot
      It seems the older I get
      The less of a shit I give x

      Delete
  2. my favourite pair of trousers wore so thin at the knees they were unrepairable
    i was upset but wanted to wear them one more time before they had to go.
    i put them on and they were perfect not a hole in sight, i thought some kind of miracle had happened ( only trousers but i am over dramatic!) but sadly no, one of the kids told me i had no trousers at the back, perhaps we could start a trend jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me smile Jo
      And yes
      We should start a club!!
      That would be awesome! X

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x