Monday 18 April 2016

O is for Orca!

Yes
A total change of direction here 
For as long as I can remember
I have been fascinated by whales
All animals really
But especially whales
It started when I did a project on them in primary school
And the fascination has never left me
There is something so magical about them 
Their sheer size alone is mind boggling
Last night on BBC
There was a documentary on about zoos
Presented by Liz Bonin
That asked the questions
Should we keep animals in captivity?
What are the costs and the benefits?
I wasn't going to watch said documentary
As in the trailer 
It said there were some upsetting scenes
And nothing upsets me more than seeing animals in distress 
I decided to watch it though
As even though it is really upsetting 
I want to be aware of what is happening 
The documentary itself was brilliant
It asked some really tough questions 
About why we keep animals in captivity
Their habitat in captivity 
Their behaviour in captivity as opposed to the wild 
Apparently an elephants life span is cut in half in captivity
They also experience other problems such as obesity 
Rotten teeth 
And foot problems 
All because they have been kept in the wrong sort of conditions 
The documentary also questions about extinction
In the case of the northern white rhino
There are none left in the wild at all
And only five exist in captivity
So
Is it better to keep a species in captivity to keep it alive?
Or should we allow these beautiful animals to die out?
It's a tricky one

But back to whales 
The documentary spoke about the movie Black Fish
The film that focuses on the events that led up to the death of 40 year old Seaworld trainer Dawn Branchaeu in 2010
I haven't seen the movie
As I think it would send me over the edge and traumatise me for life
The name of the whale that killed Dawn Brancheau is called Tilikum
Dawn was rubbing Tilikum as part of a post show routine when the orca grabbed her by her left arm and hair
And dragged her to the bottom of the enclosure
Tilikum scalped her
Broke her bones 
Dismembered her
She drowned 
The third person to have been killed by Tilikum since his capture over 30 years ago
Seaworld declined to take part in the film Black Fish 
But they did agree to an interview for the BBC documentary last night 
We got to meet Tilikum
Who still resides in Sea World
The head vet there 
Argued that Dawn Brancheaus death was a tragic accident 
And not a deliberate attack on her life 

Let's rewind here a little 
So I can give you some history of Tilikum
Tilikum is the largest orca in captivity
Weighing in at 12, 500 pounds
And over 22 feet in length
Tilikum was captured near Iceland
In November 1983
Two years old
He was ripped away from his family and ocean home 
He was covered in lanolin
An oil extracted from sheeps wool which is applied to the orcas whole body to prepare them for a long transport without water
Tilikum has been bought and sold like a commodity since his capture
Held in small holding tanks 
All he could do was swim in small circles and float aimlessly at the surface of the water 
In the wild an orca can cover an area of up to 100 miles a day 
So you can see how disturbing it must be to the whale
In captivity 
Food was held from Tilikum as a training technique
He was forced to perform every hour on the hour 
8 times a day 
7 days a week
On February 21 1991 Sealand trainer Keltie Byrne fell in to a pool containing three orcas including Tilikum
She was pulled to the bottom of the enclosure 
Tossed around among the three orcas
And ultimately drowned 
She was the first of three people to have been killed due to Tilikums stress, confinement and frustration

After the death of Keltie 
Sealand closed its doors for good
And Tilikum was sold to Seaworld
Over the course of Tilikums life at there
He has been involved in multiple acts of aggression 
The stress of captivity also drives him to exhibit abnormal repetitive behaviour
Such as on metal gates and the concrete sides of his tank 
The stress of captivity also drove Tilikum to kill a young trainer called Daniel P Dukes in 1999
Following Dawns tragic death in 2010
Tilikum was kept in a tiny enclosure
After a year of isolation
He returned to performing 
Aggression towards humans by orcas is almost non existent in nature
But the constant stress of living in incompatible social groupings inside minuscule tAnks at Seaworld causes them to lash out
Posing a threat of danger to other whales and employees alike

Having researched this topic today 
And some of the information here was taken directly from Seaworld of Hurts website 
I feel a sense of despair for these animals 
It really upsets me 
In fact cruelty to animals upsets me a lot more than cruelty to people 
I asked myself today
What I can do to help these poor creatures 
And I guess by raising awareness here on my blog is at least something 
I find myself with little pity for those that Tilikum killed
I mean these are wild animals 
Being kept in unsatisfactory conditions 
I'm actually surprised that more people haven't been killed
So I guess we need to ask ourselves some difficult questions
In order to solve this problem 
In my opinion
Seaworld and similar places should be illegal 
No more than dancing bears
Donkey rides
And any other activity that exploits animals for money 
As humans 
We do not own this planet 
Animals have every right to life in the wild  
As it seems keeping them in captivity does not work 

With all that said 
I was wondering about you
What do you think about places like Seaworld?
Have you ever been?
And also what do you think about zoos?
I know a lot of you out there are animal lovers like me
So I am interested to hear what you think...

14 comments:

  1. I still can't believe Seaworld hasn't been shut down after all of that went public. It's disgusting the way so many people still make money off of the pain and suffering of animals. The way I always interpreted the creation story with God setting us above the animals was that He was making us responsible for taking care of them, not telling us we could do whatever we liked to them.

    I hope to one day get involved in animal rescue, when I have my own place to live. I'll probably end up with a million cats like one of my best friends who fosters strays, but you know what, at least those million cats will have a good home where they're spoiled rotten.

    I saw a documentary years and years ago about this group of "pirates" (that's the best word they could think of for them I think) who sailed around the world sinking whaling ships, often leaving crew members of those whaling ships dead in the process. I hope they're still at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Mich
      I have absolutely no sympathy for those who make a profit from animals suffering
      Have you seen black fish?
      I am tempted to watch it
      But I know it might just make me have a break down
      That's how much I know it will effect me

      I sincerely hope thdt all the Seaworlds across the planet are closed down for good within my life time
      I remember a friend of mine brought her family to Seaworld last year
      I had to hide my disgust
      I wish I could do something more to help
      But I guess we our bit by looking after our own animals
      And taking care of our side of the street
      As humans
      We are ruining this planet
      A planet that doesn't belong to us

      I love the idea of pirates
      And I would be the first to join them! X

      Delete
  2. Blackfish is an amazing documentary. I've watched it a few times. It's not overly graphic, though I'd probably avoid watching The Cove if I were you (which is a brilliant, but graphic, doco on dolphins). Hearing about his treatment at Sealand was just so sad, and explains a lot. I'm pretty sure Seaworld recently changed their rules with orca shows, I'm not 100% sure though.
    I've never been, though I've been to the zoo a lot. We have three in the state - Melbourne zoo, a 'sanctuary' with Australian animals, and an open range zoo. I'm conflicted, to be honest, and don't really know enough to have an informed opinion on zoos in general.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They're not going to breed them anymore and they're phasing out the shows.

      Delete
    2. It's a tricky one Bella
      Yes
      I've heard of The Cove
      And I really think I would lose the will to live if I watched it
      I despair at humanity sometimes
      I really do x

      Delete
  3. The Orcas should be in the ocean. They're too big and wandery to be caged.

    I guess I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in zoos. Elephants are big, but I don't think they do shows.

    I prefer animal parks to zoos. The animals have more room to roam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree EM
      There is no humane way these beautiful animals can be kept in captivity
      This is literally keeping me awake at night
      I so want to do something to help x

      Delete
  4. I went to Sea World as a teenager and thought nothing of it.. though they didn't have orcas there. I watched BlackFish a while ago, and I haven't thought of sea world the same way since. I have heard it isn't totally truthful, but any bit of it is enough to change how you think of the idea of captivity. Just the part about capturing whales is bad.
    When I went vegan (though I am back to vegetarian), I read a lot against animal entertainment, and I have thought back to visits to zoos. There has always been some knowledge that zoo habitats are unnatural. Now I really do question the idea. I know frequently the motive is good. Conservation is a strong idea, but the price of animals living in little chambers.. I don't know. It would make more sense if extinction wasn't also caused by people. We killed the rhinos for trophies. We kill by taking their habitat.
    I don't know if this made sense. I have been bothered by this whole idea for a while. The idea of any human use of animals. It is complicated, but it needs to be thought about. I feel like any use (captivity or food) makes you think about the rest because the line between species is often blurred. I definitely have thought about all of it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Sea World as a teenager and thought nothing of it.. though they didn't have orcas there. I watched BlackFish a while ago, and I haven't thought of sea world the same way since. I have heard it isn't totally truthful, but any bit of it is enough to change how you think of the idea of captivity. Just the part about capturing whales is bad.
    When I went vegan (though I am back to vegetarian), I read a lot against animal entertainment, and I have thought back to visits to zoos. There has always been some knowledge that zoo habitats are unnatural. Now I really do question the idea. I know frequently the motive is good. Conservation is a strong idea, but the price of animals living in little chambers.. I don't know. It would make more sense if extinction wasn't also caused by people. We killed the rhinos for trophies. We kill by taking their habitat.
    I don't know if this made sense. I have been bothered by this whole idea for a while. The idea of any human use of animals. It is complicated, but it needs to be thought about. I feel like any use (captivity or food) makes you think about the rest because the line between species is often blurred. I definitely have thought about all of it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about it too
      It really bothers me
      And I really feel like I want to do something to help
      I just don't know what yet
      I'm starting to hate ever hung that the western world stands for
      Consumerism
      Capitalism
      And everything that goes with
      In saying that
      I know I contribute to those things too
      But I want to stop
      We as humans don't own the planet
      Animals have very right to live in peace too
      I don't know
      It all just really upsets me x

      Delete
    2. Everything the western world stands for x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think on an individual basis, sometimes even the caretakers and trainers are trying to make the best life for the animals that they can. Mankind is arrogant, and we have learned many hard lessons the hard way about the harm that comes from putting animals in unnatural habitats.

    I do think it's worth pointing out that not all animals in captivity were taken for the purpose of profit and entertainment. My city zoo's dolphins are rescues that could not make it in the wild for one reason or another. What we do to orcas is pretty feckin sick, though.

    Sea Worlds adaptations are purely because public awareness has made their business unprofitable. If they were making changes based on improving the orca's wellbeing, they would stop the shows immediately and send their orcas to a sanctuary so they could spend the remainder of their lives in peace.

    Whether having captive animals is ok depends on the type of animal and situation. People will often have small animals, such as birds, as if they were ornaments, and completely neglect their mental, social, and environmental needs. I'm not sure a bird stuffed into a tiny cage 24/7 is any better off than an orca in a tiny pool, but it will never make headlines because a parakeet isn't capable of homicide.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x