Monday 18 January 2016

Monday Monday....

As usual 
I was up early this morning to go see my doctor
My sister and I set off for my 9 20am appointment 
And she went for a walk with the dogs 
While I headed in to the surgery
I had my application for the job with me
Which I filled out last night
And went over it as I sat in the waiting room
I needed two references 
So I put my elderly neighbour as one
I needed one more
So I made a call to the pizzeria owner I used to work for
I got his wife 
Who said that was absolutely fine 
It really pays off doing the right thing
And having someone who can give you a reliable character witness
As I rang off 
My doctor called me in 
I followed him in to his room
Where I settled in my usual seat
I had thought about asking him for a reference 
But I don't know if that would be appropriate 
So I decided against it
We talked for a few minutes 
I told him about the job
And he seemed genuinely delighted for me
He said that he hopes to retire there when he's older 
Gosh wouldn't the tables turn if that was the case
He wished me good luck
And to me that I am too talented to be sitting around doing nothing 
I thought that was a nice thing to say 
I collected my script 
And headed for the pharmacy

After handing in my script to the pharmacist 
I decided to head over to where the job is
And hand in my application
It was busier today
I walked to the kitchen 
Where the staff usually are
I knocked on the door
Someone answered and said they would introduce me to the manager 
I spoke to her for a few minutes
She was really lovely 
She told me that there were loads of applications 
My heart sank a bit when she said that 
She said they would go through all the applications this week
And that they wouldn't be calling everyone for interview 
But the would let me know one way or another next week
I thanked her
And headed back to the pharmacy 

You know me 
I get very excited about things
And this job is something I would love
But now I'm thinking I probably my shouldn't get my hopes up
As so many have applied
The manager dos ask me if I was available for an interview
And if I could start straight away 
Does that mean I'm going to be called?
Or did she ask everyone that?
I just dont know 
I guess now it's a waiting game
And we all know how I'm not very good at waiting 
But 
I have no other choice
At least I know that I did my best
And gave it a good shot
I could do no more
This is the first job I've applied for in years 
So if nothing else 
It's been good experience
But you guys 
I just can't help getting my hopes up
I just have this really good feeling about this place
And this job 
It's some thing I could really sink my teeth in to 
And I can't lie
I will be bitterly disappointment if it doesn't work out

In other news
I am feeling a lot better the last few days 
Physically 
I feel almost back to myself 
And my mood has picked up too
My weight has stayed the same for the past two weeks 
With no losses to report 
So that is good 
Although if I were to get this job
I need to gain a bit 
Or at the very least maintain where I am at 
It's all motivation to get well
And stay well
I guess I need to have a back up if this job doesn't work out 
Whether that be another job
A course 
Volunteer work 
I think I will wait to hear from them
And go from there
Whatever happens 
It's a learning experience 
And I can use that in the next job I apply for 
So please think of me
And wish me luck 
It looks like I'm going to need it....



20 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby
    It's really great news that you are feeling better! Best of luck my dear, really hope you get to work somewhere you would be happy
    Love
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruby
    It's really great news that you are feeling better! Best of luck my dear, really hope you get to work somewhere you would be happy
    Love
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pia for your kind words
      Good to hear from you
      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  3. Ruby! I don't know you but I can't believe how invested I am with the job aspect. I feel like I know you and your situation personally. I wish you all the best. Everything will turn out fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you
      I really appreciate you being behind me
      I don't know you either
      But I am grateful for your support x

      Delete
  4. fingers crossed for you ruby , jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo
      Was just thinking of you today
      How are you? X

      Delete
    2. yes I'm ok thanks did email few days ago but not sure it worked x

      Delete
    3. Don't think I saw it Jo
      Will you send it again? X

      Delete
  5. Hope you get the job! And if not, I'm sure you'll find something that's a good fit. I think having a reason to get up and out of the house will be a big help. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich
      I think so too
      It just couldn't be more perfect for me
      I don't know how I'm going to wait until next week to find out
      My nerves are shot! X

      Delete
  6. Best of luck with the job :) Don't get your hopes up but don't admit defeat either, keep it all in perspective. Usually helps! Also don't overthink it too much. You've gone for it and that's amazing :D So proud of you!

    Also good news about your health. I'm glad things have stabilised a bit there.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Agnes
      Thank you

      Yes thankfully I seem to be a bit more stable lately
      For a while there
      I felt like death warmed up
      As my mum used to say x

      Delete
  7. Listen. Lemme give you a some tips on what I do and I think I've maybe only been turned for one job which I wasn't truly qualified for anyway. Put on your business professional clothes, do your hair and make up and make sure you've been awake for more than an hour. I'm notorious for getting up at the last minute and going in with enough time to look nice. :) make sure you maintain eye contact and smile and if they ask you something, like a what would you do scenario think about it. Say you need some time to think. Interviewers often ask what you think your strengths and weaknesses are so come prepared with that but make sure your weakness is something true but small. Like mine is punctuality but I'm usually only two minutes late to work but thirty minutes late to everything else but they don't have to know that so I say I often take on too much. :) be friendly and just make yourself stand out. Passion is something that no one can forget. Above all, be genuine. You can't fake warmth and I know you may be nervous, but honesty and enthusiasm can go along way. If you've never done something they ask you to do, be honest but say that you're a fast learner and you would like to acquire new skills. That's all I've got for now, but it really is in the personality. Employers want to see that you're a pretty good person who wants to show up and learn and be a service to these people. I believe in you. Feel sorry for the other applicants because it's your job and once you walk in it's yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, let me add, this isn't just their interview,its your interview of them. I think that was one of the best pieces of advice I ever got from someone. When you go in you have to ask yourself, do I like how they do things? Does the pay seem fair? Do the hours seem reasonable? Are they flexible and understanding if an emergency comes up? Will I enjoy working for them and so will I put in my best effort because I enjoy working for them? Though it provides income and hopefully some fulfillment, you have to be mindful of if it will provide you with what you're searching for. Hope some of this helps. I know you'll kill it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this EVe
      Yea
      You've mentioned a lot of things that my mum and sister brought up too
      I met the manager today
      And she was super nice
      She remembered that I rang on Friday too which I thought was a good sign
      I hope I made a good impression both in person and with my application
      I made sure my writing was clear
      And highlighted my experience
      And yes
      I am prepared for the weakness question
      I think as long as I have a solution for any potential problems I will be ok
      I just hope I get a chance to make a case for myself in person at the interview
      I play to my strengths
      And I think my strengths are dealing with people
      So fingers crossed!

      Thanks again
      This was really helpful x

      Delete
  8. The interview process! So challenging! I've been there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my lovely
      I hope to hear something Friday or Monday
      Fingers crossed!!! X

      Delete
  9. Ruby, this is what I am doing. I work two days a week with two elderly people....providing companionship, doing laundry, making sandwiches, etc. I look forward to it all week and it gives my life meaning.

    I will be keeping my fingers crossed!! BUT: If you don't get the job, don't give up!!! You can offer to volunteer there! <3

    Small

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Small
      I think I will
      Volunteer if this job doesn't work out
      As I would love to do it even if I don't get paid x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x