Friday 16 October 2015

In this life...

Recently 
A strange feeling has come upon me
It has sneaked up on me 
Like a fox in the night 
I wasn't sure what it was at first
It felt so strange 
So foreign
Like nothing I have ever experienced before
It's only today
This morning in fact
That I realised what it is
It's happiness
At least I think it is

For the longest time 
I was so very numb
Between my ED and my addiction 
Happiness was not something that I experienced very much 
From the age of 13
I had been in trouble
In school 
Then after I left school 
My life began to implode 
I honestly don't think that up until this point
I had ever experienced happiness
Or anything approaching happiness
Contentment 
Satisfaction 
They were all foreign concepts to me

My twenties were a right off
Up until the age of 25 I was addicted to drugs 
And my ED was always there 
In the back ground 
I swear I went for years without laughing 
Or even smiling 
But recently 
I find myself laughing more and more
I firmly believe that laughter is good for the soul 
There is nothing better than a good belly laugh 
Nothing 

Over the last 15 months 
My life has turned around to the point that I don't even recognise it
And my families lives 
When I got ill
My whole family became ill
We were in such a bad way for years 
It is such a relief to have finally come out the other side 
There was a point in time 
When four out of the six members of my family were in active addiction
It was nothing short of a living nightmare 
Thinking back 
I'm not quite sure how we got through it 
I'm not sure how my mother stayed sane
It was utter chaos and devastation
But one by one 
We all got clean and sober 
And now we all have a good bit of recovery time behind us 
We've all done it in different ways
We have found what works for us 
As my mother often says 
Given what this family has been through 
We are not doing too badly at all

I haven't felt happiness in so long 
That I'm not even sure what it feels like
All I know is that I feel good 
I dont want to hurt or kill myself 
So that is a start 
I don't want to be anyone else
I am content to be me
I feel ok in my skin 
I don't want to be bigger or smaller
I don't crave an emaciated body 
I don't measure my worth in pounds and ounces
In fact I don't weigh at all
I measure my happiness and self worth by my actions 
By looking after myself
And my dogs 
By being a good person
And doing the right thing 
Most of the time 

I spent much of my life 
Looking at other girls 
And wishing I head their hair, legs, tan, shoes....
I put together the perfect body 
Using body parts from different girls 
I hated my own body
Hated my face
I was convinced that I was butt ugly 
And there was nothing I could do to improve my looks
And my body 
I hated it also 
I hated that I wasnt taller 
Leaner 
That my legs had no shape 
And my feet were deformed 
But now 
Now I see things a bit differently 
Yes
I have inherited my mothers hammer toe and bunions
But it could be so much worse 
They are things that I can deal with
And yes I am short at 5'4
But that's ok 
I'm of an average weight 
Yes 
I will never have a supermodel body 
But that's ok too
I remember when I was in treatment 
I was told that I had a petite hour glass shape 
That is not too shabby 
And better than a kick in the face 
Yes I have days when I literally want to die because I feel I have no redeeming features
I have days when I try on my whole wardrobe
And still can find nothing to wear 
I have my bad days 
Days when I just want to lie on the floor and scream and cry because my favourite jeans no longer fit me
The point is 
That most days are ok
Most days are good 
Most days I can leave the house feeling ok in my skin 
And that 
I can deal with

So much has happened in the last year
I regained weight to a healthy range 
I gave up smoking 
And 14 months later
Continue to be a non smoker
I decreased my purging by a huge amount
But the real changes 
The vital changes
Are the ones that have happened in my mind 
My thinking 
My beliefs 
And though process has dramatically changed 
I have come to realise that I can deal with life without relying on drugs or my ED
I've come to see that I am not a bad person 
And that for me is one of the biggest and best realisations 
Not only am I not a bad person
I am actually a good person
I am just a girl 
Who wants to live her life the best she can 
I want to live in my community
Quietly and harmoniously 
I want to look after my dogs
Walk then 
Feed them 
Love them
I want to be a productive member of society
I want to be valued 
And known as a reliable and good person

I have also come to realise 
That I am hugely blessed
I have a strong family around me
Who have carried me through my recovery on a wave of love and support 
My Mother 
Who continues to be my biggest cheerleader 
Is my rock 
My backbone
Over the years 
She has literally picked me up many times 
And have me a reason to keep going
I have siblings
And being the youngest of four 
I am forever treated as the baby 
I am so lucky to have had such amazing people in my life 
Family 
Friends 
Sponsors 
Mentors 
They have all been there exactly when I needed them
I am lucky that I come from a middle class family 
And have never struggled for money 
That is huge 
As it means that I never went without 
Even when times were tough 

Now
In my thirties 
It feels like I am finally figuring things out
Heck I got measured for my first bra at the grand ol' age of 34
And we all know what a revelation that was
My twenties were a blur of drugs and alcohol and starvation
My thirties feel clear and steady and mature 
So yes
I think I might be happy
My family are all in a good place 
My sister came home from Australia 
Which was amazing
She was sorely missed
And it's so good to have her home 
My health is good 
My mental health is good 
I feel part of things 
I am an active member of our community here
And this community means so much to me
You ladies 
Who have been staunch supporters of mine
I can never express the love and gratitude I feel for you amazing ladies
You have been with me every step of the way over the last 3 and a half years
This blog has saved my life 
And my sanity 
Over and over again
I am so honoured to be part of our little community 
I have met the most wonderful people through my blog 
People who I now call friends 

I hope I can maintain this feeling
I feel so positive about my life at the moment
Yes I am not perfect 
And there is still a lot of work to be done 
But right here
Right now 
I feel content 
I feel happy 
I feel ok to be me 
Because I am doing my best to be a good person 
And that is enough for me  
It's taken me a long long time 
But I finally feel like I know what I am doing 
Where I am going 
And what I want out of life 
I feel happy to be alive 
And that my friends 
Is a miracle 



9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! ❤️ I'm so please to see your growth and development. Welcome to a whole new beautiful chapter in your life! It won't always be easy, but it will be easily much better than the hell you were living in before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hun
      It really feels like I have a second chance
      And I am so grateful for that
      Now anything is possible

      How are you doing? X

      Delete
  2. so happy you are feeling like this,your mum seems so lovely xxx (jo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo
      And yes
      She is the best
      I am blessed x

      Delete
  3. Thank you Shelby
    It means a lot x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I am bursting with happiness reading this ❤️ Love you my dear you deserve to feel all this and more :D -Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x