Sunday 23 August 2015

Reminders

Every time I smell hairspray
It reminds me of my dancing days
And ballet exams
Spraying and lacquering our hair until it was rock hard

Every time I see tinfoil
It reminds me of smoking black tar heroin
Running the lighter under it
Until it melts and bubbles
And the smoke wafts off it

Every time I eat a raspberry 
I am immediately transported back to my childhood
And the raspberry and red berry bush in our back garden
Never ending sunny days
Lying on the lawn 
With the grass tickling our feet

Every time I'm in Dublin
And I smell the hops from the Guinness store house
It reminds me of my using days
Getting off the bus at Heuston station
Walking by the old hospital
All the way down the quays 
Until we reached Thomas Street
Where we scored 
And went and cooked it up in the flats 

Every time I eat a scone
It reminds of when I lived with my ex-boyfriend
When we didn't have a penny
Because it all went on drugs 
And we made crude buns out of flour and water 
Because we had no other food

Every time I smell chlorine
It reminds me of swimming competitions
Of Lining up to race
And the butterflies in my tummy

Every time I see a green jeep
It reminds me of The Boy
Of driving around
Drinking poppy tea
And drifting in and out of reality

Every time I smell vodka
I'm reminded of the first time I got drunk
When me and my best friend raided her Mothers drinks cabinet
I woke up the next morning in a pool of vomit
We were 14

Everytime I wake up in the middle of the night
It reminds me of the days 
When I was sick from drugs
When my whole body ached
And sleep was an impossibility

Every time I hear the Friends theme tune
It reminds me of the late nineties
Watching my favourite show on a Monday night
Then having to wait a whole week for the next one

Every time I bag up my rubbish bin
It reminds me of the times when my boyfriend and I used to bag up heroin to sell
Then ended up taking it all ourselves 
I was always a greedy addict

Every time I hear the Drake song 'Coming home'
It reminds me of my last stint in treatment
When I heard that song
And wished I was home

There are things everywhere that remind me of my past
Some welcome 
Some not so much
It's amazing the way a smell
Or a taste 
Or a feeling 
Can bring me right back to a place in time
Right back to a child
To an addict
To a teenager
All the lives I have lived
It's hard to be reminded
But I welcome it
I don't want to forget where I've come from
What I've been through
It's taken every experience I've ever had
To get me where I am today
I don't resist it 
I welcome it


11 comments:

  1. Warm bread smells like grandma. Whiskey smells like my father. Crayfish tastes like family. It's sometimes disconcerting how easy memories pop up when I encounter a smell, a feeling. I think my Asperger makes me really sensitive.

    Even bad experiences are experiences; maybe not to cherish, but to remember so we never forget where we came from and how far we have come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't strange how a smell can transport is right back?
      Scent is so powerful
      It brings me right back every single time x

      Delete
  2. Very evocative, beautiful. You're a great writer.

    All the significant men in my lives have smelled like rolling tobacco and eucalyptus.

    But.then I am a country Aussie.

    I love your "non je ne regrette rien" !!
    I do... I struggle daily.

    xoxox shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and lol about the bin bags. Have a similar memory.

      Delete
    2. Yes the smell of cigars reminds me of my Dad too

      Oh are you in Australia?
      For some reason I thought you were in the U.S.
      What part of Oz are you?

      Ha
      I know the bin bag is a funny one
      But every single time it reminds me of it

      I guess I don't have regrets
      If I started regretting things
      There would be nothing left x

      Delete
    3. Far north tropical Queensland!

      Delete
  3. and there will be many more to come. many more reminders and memories...

    what a wonderful world.

    -Sam Lupin

    PS. this post was very, very well written. made me a little nostalgic. one thing i do remember when nostalgia comes around are jasmines. my grandmother used to string them together, and we'd wear them as necklaces when we were very young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Sam
      It's like being transported back in time

      Aw thank you
      I've been so aware of triggers recently
      That I just had to write about this today x

      Delete
  4. That was beautiful poetry, dear. And I know what you mean, it's like when I walk down a street there's almost always a certainly memory related to it.
    I hope you're doing well love <3 and I'm glad you welcome all the reminders of your past. Because you should be proud of how far you've come today!

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Christie
      Hope you are doing ok
      How are you?
      Are you not blogging anymore? X

      Delete
    2. I'm getting by, thanks. Oh, I changed my url, I'm at tiredteenagefailure.blogspot.com

      Love,
      Christie

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x