Wednesday 15 July 2015

The Plumber Update

Do you remember a couple of months ago
I wrote about the whole plumber situation
And how my neighbour was trying to play Cupid 
And set us up together
So she did some digging
Not because I asked her to mind
She took this on all herself
Because even though I have seen him a couple of times from a distance
I don't think I would be able to pick him out in a line up
Anyway
So she found out that he was single
And he told her that he is 'approachable'
I didn't think about it again
Until I was speaking to my neighbour yesterday
When she told me that he asked her for my number!
My neighbours memory is not the best
So she couldn't give me an accurate account of the conversation they had
But she does remember him asking for my digits
Which she promptly gave him
All I could do was laugh when she told me
But part if of me was secretly pleased 

After that
I was alert everytime my phone rang
My anxiety was on full alert
Then last night my phone rang
I checked to see who it was 
But I didn't recognise the number 
Thinking it could be him 
I couldn't bring myself to answer it
And hoped he would leave a message
When the phone stopped ringing 
It pinged that there was a voice mail
I went and got my sister 
And we settled down with cups of tea to listen to the voice mail on speaker phone
I dialled the number
And we both waited with baited breath 
The  phone went to messages
It beeped 
We angled out ears to the phone
And.....
....nothing 
It was like someone had forget to end the call 
And had just left it on
So I could hear them
But they didn't know their phone was still on
We listened for a couple of minutes before the phone went dead

I didn't know if it was him or not
My sister urged me to ring the number back
But I couldn't 
I just didn't have the courage 
So I decided I would text him
I saved his number under the name Plumber
And when I went to text the number
A conversation popped up on my phone
I could see that it was a woman from the meetings 
So I decided to ring the number
And lo and behold 
It was the woman from the meetings
Who had dialled my phone by mistake
What an anticlimax

Anyway
He now has my phone number
So the ball is in his court
I might have to question my neighbour again 
To see if I can find out some more information 
To be honest with you
The thought of a boy/man ringing me is absolutely terrifying 
I mean I am so out of practise
So so rusty 
And my confidence isn't great at the best of times
So I don't know what I am going to do if he rings 
It seems the older I get
The more difficult things like this become
I can remember being in my early twenties 
And talking to boys was not a problem
Confidence wasn't a problem
But now
Well I guess given what I have been through in the last ten years 
My confidence has been knocked out of me
Oh Well
I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come it

In the mean time
Do any of you lovely ladies have any dating advice for me?
How do you think I should play this?
All suggestions welcome
I am so damn nervous about this whole thing

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I knew it!!! I'm exited!

    Play it cool!! Don't tell him anything he doesn't need to know.

    Go out for coffee or walk the dogs. You're very charming! You'll win him over. Keep it light and fluffy! Wear blue. You're lovely in blue. Let him do all the work.

    You look even better now with your suntan.

    You know, I had a bad decade too and I'd given up on a relationship. But it happened!! Out of the blue.



    I wish the same for you ruby xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great advice Shelby
      Exactly what I was thinking
      Playing it cool is definitely the way to go me thinks
      Coffee first
      And see how that goes
      He regularly calls to my neighbour
      Or maybe I could break something here at home
      And have to call on his services
      He he
      It's all very exciting though
      I love a bit of boy drama!! X

      Delete
  2. Oh and don't worry about me. Sometimes I find it hard to get over some of the idiot things I've done in the past. I truly hope I haven't fucked up my chances for a good life forever.

    But I really appreciate your concern xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're ok
      You had me worried there
      Shelby you are always one of the first to remind me that I can still have a great life
      And so can you
      We all make mistakes
      I have made some whoppers in my life
      But there is always a second chance
      A new day
      And fresh start
      If you are like me
      Then you are very hard on yourself
      Try not to best yourself up
      You are a good person
      I know that for a fact
      And you can still have a full and colourful life
      Good things happen to good people
      And you are definitely one of the good ones

      Always here for ya x

      Delete
  3. ruby, answer the phone next time it rings! it might be fate and he could lovely,i think the going for a dog walk sounds a good idea, he might be nervous too,always find less pressure to talk then otherwise.good luck I'm excited !! xx jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Jo
      At least now I will be prepared
      Everytime the phone rings my heart skips a beat
      I feel like a hormonal teenager!
      Yes I like the idea of a dig walk
      I hope likes dogs
      As they are part of the package! X

      Delete
  4. That's so exciting!! I'll be living vicariously through you, as sadly there is a severe shortage of decent single men in this part of New Jersey...

    I'm not sure anyone truly knows what they're doing when it comes to dating and relationships. I've found the best advice is to remember not to take yourself (or him either) too seriously. The best relationships are the ones where you both make each other laugh.

    And yes, break something in the bathroom. That is what I would probably do....

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mich
      You can totally live through me
      And I could not agree with you more about not taking ourselves too seriously
      I think laughter is a good sign that two people are getting on

      And yes
      Am totally going to take a hammer to something if I don't hear from him soon!!! X

      Delete
  5. First and foremost, try to be you! Don't pretend to be someone you're not. Not even to make him like you more due to certain commonalities. If you don't like something or agree with something say so. Individuality and ability to have your own likings and being your own person will get you to a great place :) .
    Hope this helped :)
    Sera xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound advice Sera
      Because intend to do that
      Agree with someone just for a quiet life
      But it's so much more interesting when we have different opinions and takes on life
      I was going to say that I'll do my best to be normal
      But if I am to be myself
      That is so not normal
      But I think that's more fun
      You know? X

      Delete
    2. No one ever had any fun being normal.

      Delete
    3. Exactly!
      Normal is overrated x

      Delete
  6. Oooh, very exciting!! I want to keep asking 'has he called yet?'.
    I'm afraid I have zero dating advice for you. I am a total nuff nuff when it comes to all that stuff.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      I am checking my phone constantly!
      I wish he'd just ring already!

      I'm the same Bells
      That's why I need advice x

      Delete
  7. aw, you're very cute. it makes me smile to see this!

    you're rather adorable. i hope you can bring yourself to answer phone calls and make them one day. i do not like to make/answer phone calls, but i've gotten so much better at it. i can ask whatever i want. i'm very comfortable now with so many things that i wasn't before. in fact, funny thing - i think our very distant persona is due to our disorders. i've noticed this a recurring trend in the ED community, and i think that recovery shouldn't just be about eating more and getting better - it should be about acquiring a social circle as well, and being able to fit into somewhere. being able to ask and being able to think you are worth it.

    the eating part is easier than all of that, but i think we'll all get there at some point. we are strong girls. we are going to get there.

    you build your confidence through things like this.

    unfortunately, one can't just get it overnight. it's something we have to acquire over practice, especially after all that's happened in our lives.

    i hope that you're able to answer next time a strange number comes up. the anxiety is nearly always worse than the event itself...that's something you said and something i find so true.

    i absolutely love Shelby's advice. she's spot on with everything. also about the blue. i think you look the best in soft colours as well as blue! xxx


    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sam
      I agree
      Recovery is about so much more than food and gaining weight
      It's about trying to find ways and means to cope
      A way to live life without wanting to end it all the time

      You are full of wisdom Sam
      I feel so lucky to know you
      And call you a friend x

      Delete
  8. Just play it cool, don't try to be what you think he wants you to be. If it's meant to be, it will be, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CP
      And welcome home
      You were missed! X

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x