Friday 17 July 2015

The plumber and other stories.....

It was yesterday evening 
I was at home
Watching tv
Minding my own business
When my phone pinged a text
I opened it think it might be my friend who I had texted shortly before
I opened my messages 
And saw a number I didn't recognise 
With three simple words

How you Ruby?

My mind went blank for a moment 
As I tried to process the number 
And the words 
I ran through the possibilities in my hand 
My first thought was that it was The Boy
It could be 
He is prone to random texts out of the blue 
I wondered then if it was someone from the meetings 
But the other possibility 
Was that it was the plumber 

After about 15 minutes
I finally worked up the courage to text back
I simply said

Hey, who is this?

I went back to watching my show 
I didn't get my hopes up
Or have any expectations
In reality it could have been anyone
But still
There was still a little piece of me that hoped it was him 

The next few minutes dragged on forever 
I kept checking my phone
Looking for a reply
A clue to who this mystery person was
Finally 
After about ten minutes
My phone pinged again
Same number 
With the words 

'His name' I got your number off your neighbour, you Ruby?

OMG it was him!
It was The Plumber!
Holy shit!
I legged it in to the kitchen 
Where my mum and sister were
They demanded that I read out all the texts so far
Which I did
My sister told me to play it cool
Which I think was good advice
So I sat down to reply
And this is what I wrote

Oh hey, yea this is Ruby, my neighbour told me that she gave you my number, how you?

I tried to be casual but interested
Not too try hard but friendly 
And waited for a reply 
It came a few minutes later 

I'm good, I'll talk to you tomorrow 

I was a bit confused at this 
But decided not to text back 
So the ball is now in his court
As my sister says 
I'll let him take the lead

But seriously people 
I have no idea what I am doing 
This is unchartered territory for me 
I haven't had a boyfriend in years
In a whole decade
I have no idea of the way it works now
And I'm not in to playing games 
I'm not into messing with people's heads
I like people to be honest
And straight forwards
And I try to be too

So what happens now?
That's what I want to know 
I'm taking it from his last text that he is going to contact me today
Probably this evening 
As he will be working during the day 
But honestly 
My self esteem and confidence is not the best at the moment 
And heck
If I don't like or love myself
How can I expect any one else to
I kept saying to my Mum and sister
That when he sees me up close 
He'll soon lose interest
And he'll see what a loser I really am

My sisters advice Is good 
And she knows because she is alwAys dating someone 
She tells me to just be myself 
Maybe go for coffee
See if we like each other 
And take it from there
So that's what I will do 
But if you have any other advice 
Or words of wisdom 
I would really appreciate it
If we were lonely hearts 
It would probably read something like this...

Him: Tall, dark, hard worker, good with pipes

Her: Blonde, shy, GSOH, seeks man that must love dogs

Help!!!

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hun
      Why'd you delete your comment?
      Are you ok? X

      Delete
    2. Sorry I wanted to add a bit and take something off. ;)

      Delete
  2. Lol @ your lonely hearts advert!!


    You don't do anything. 

    He said he'd ring you back.

    I'm sure he will.

    Then let him do all the hard work. 
    I'm sure he'll ask u out for a coffee.

    Next date you can walk on the beach with the dogs.

    But Ruby if you aren't ready then you don't have to go. You just say thanks but no thanks.

    If you want to go, then go. I know you don't like game playing but a bit of mystery will help. You don't have to spill everything.

    Men like a bit of hard to get. Probably because they like ball sports.

    also you certainly have seen a lot of the world and countryside so that's a good starting point. And you used to work in a bank.

    And you aren't a "loser". You've had some Ill health.

    Some guys just really want a nice girlfriend not a wonder woman. A lot couldn't care less about your credentials.

    I hope this helps.


    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It and you did help Shelby
      As ever you are full of wisdom
      I think what you say is great
      I will let him do the hard work
      And it's also good advice not to spill and tell everything straight away
      I am so used to talking about my ED and addiction
      But I know that's no appropriate for a first or even tenth date

      The funny thing is
      That although I have seen him
      I don't have a clear image of him in my head
      I like what you say about mystery
      And playing hard to get
      I think I can do that
      And still be straight forward and honest

      Thank you for this fear Shelby
      I just replied to your last comment on my previous post
      You've been through a lot my friend
      And I am glad to know
      And get to know you x

      Delete
  3. I know you must be terrified out of your mind about the plumber relationship, but the way you write about the development of this saga is quite comical...I can just imagine you and your mum and your sister poring over the phone in the kitchen, waiting for the plot to thicken. I would suggest to just go with the flow, and remember to put you first. If you want something to happen, then go for it, but if not, then hold your horses and be assertive with him that you are not ready for something. You are the important one and you need to look after yourself. Just be your lovely self and see what happens and where this goes. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, it was comical Annie
      We were like three teenagers crushing on a boy!

      Thanks for the advice
      Now I am sitting here hoping that he texts! X

      Delete
  4. please don't be down on yourself,you are lovely and sure mr plumb will see that right away! just try to relax and enjoy the situation,(i know im the last person to dish out advice) but i really miss all that early days excitement,i enjoyed the downs as much as the ups! its less dull than everyday life, just see what happens? lots love jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to Jo
      It's hard to see the positives about myself
      But I will try
      It is exciting
      All these feelings and hormones flying about the place
      Just going to email you back now Jo x

      Delete
  5. Ooooh, exciting yet scary, I agree with your sister, just meet him and see how he seems.
    Don't go in with the intention of anything long term (they can smell it I swear) just take that out of your head. Think about this as meeting someone new. Making a friend. If you end up dating then that is secondary but it shouldn't be your first objective, you have to get to know him first.
    You are in no way obliged to anything either and I am sure he will apreciate your honesty when you steer things in a way that is comfortable to you.
    Take care my love and keep us posted!!
    *hugs*
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great thanks Mandy
      You are so right
      I just need to take it easy
      And not marry myself off just yet
      This may amount to nothing
      So I will play it cool
      And I will of course keep you posted x

      Delete
  6. 'If I don't lk or ♥ myself
    How can I expect any1 else to'

    ¡Ay! >.<
    1er off, the idea of you not liking\luving yourself is quite painful to me as you're so terrific!! You've got a whole passel of folks here that kno you a lot more intimately than ppl IRL do, & WE all ♥ you, [most, {if not all}], IMMENSELY Much I boldy presume-!! →Seriously Girls, tell me; am I right-??!←
    AND we don't just love you b/c we ourselves hv various 'issues;' we love you for who you are. [FYI, 'who you are' would readily translate IRL]: What's not to ♥-??!

    '…when he sees me up close
    He'll soon lose interest…'

    *facepalm*
    Be forewarned, he MIGHT draw close & never leave-!! He'd get so smitten he couldn't bear to part from you…(hope you lk those 'clingy' types!! he he) ; ) just be prepared for the possibility is all.

    '& he'll see what a…'
    I can't finish this--I REFUSE TO.
    I'll just say you being the 'l'-word is akin to saying the Earth is flat!!!

    (((hugs))) Jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jils
      You are super sweet
      I guess others see is differently to how we see ourselves
      And it's so nice if you to point out the positives
      I know I can't be all negative
      It's not good
      I think I just need to build my confidence and self esteem
      And having friends like you to remind me that I'm not all bad is amazing
      You are amazing!!
      Thank you! X

      Delete
    2. What we tell ourselves ofttimes isna true--no matter HOW many times we say it.
      You have much to offer, but in turn You should be offered much-!! Do not sell yourself short!!

      Also don't forget, blokes actually get rattled b4 meet-ups\ph calls (even txts-! ; ) ) as well! so if he does smthg a little strange or thgs feel a bit awkward, don't automatically run to, 'oh, he doesn't lk me ("now he's seen me up close…")' >.> Utter RUBBISH! Leave it out, the poor guy's just Nervous-!!
      Charming young women tend to have that effect on the lads…

      'Go get 'im,' Tiger-!! ; ) :D jils

      Delete
    3. He just texted Jils
      My legs have turned to jelly
      He seems shy
      And I am too
      This could take a while..... X

      Delete
    4. SQUEEEEE-!! :D

      Delete
  7. Ooh, exciting stuff! People can be confusing, especially when it comes to text conversations. Just going with the flow seems too simple, but it seems to be what works! Sadly I have no advice for you. Relationships and I do not mix.

    But I did what to butt in with, I think the whole "no one else can love you until you love yourself" thing is bullshit. How are we supposed to love ourselves without knowing what that love feels like?

    <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here here, Bells-!!!
      <3<3<3
      Jils

      Delete
    2. I know right?
      Text conversations are tough
      Because you can't tell the tone of the person
      Or if they're joking or serious
      I find that sometimes with comments here too

      You make a good point my lovely
      Thank you x

      Delete
  8. aye, i see you've got a lot of advice from other people, so i won't add on here.

    agreed with Bella on the whole "no one else can love you until you love yourself" thing... to add onto her point, narcissists seem to have a problem with finding dates quite a bit (spoken from experience - i know a few narcissists. oh dear God, do i know a few narcissists). they are so self-absorbed with their own self-love that they cannot form a stable relationship with anyone else. some people would want to put in the work to fix someone that is broken. others don't. it's as simple as that.

    either way, i hope that things go well with the plumber. your excitement over him is quite darling, and i think that this might be good for you.

    aye, i deleted a post i wrote. i believed that it was too whiny. *blushing* i'm alright now anyway. the post would've been far too overdramatic.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that sometimes too Sam
      Write a whole post in the heat of the moment
      Only to delete it a short time later
      But I guess that was the way you were feeling at the time
      And that is ok x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x