Monday 13 July 2015

Monday

Gosh Monday morning comes around very quickly
We watched the Wimbledon men's final yesterday 
Although I slept through most of it
As the antics of the weekend caught up on me
My Dad was minding my dogs
So we arrived home early evening
The dogs went nuts when we came in to the house 
They gave us such a warm welcome
And then conked out in their beds for the night
I had a shower
Got in to my pyjamas
And settled down for the night
It wasn't long before I was asleep again on the couch
In fact I don't even remember going to bed
All too soon it was morning 
And time to get up

I sat in the waiting room of the doctors for over half an hour before I was called in
When I was 
We talked about various things 
Including the weather
His golf game
And of course the tennis
He didn't mention my blog this week
So I am taking it that he didn't read it
Thank God
He mentioned reducing my methadone e again
I asked if we could wait another week
He agreed 
I was relieved 
He said next week for sure though
Because we have lost so much ground
But I know full well that next week I'll be asking him to wait another week
The truth is 
That I am I no hurry to come off the methadone
It really wouldn't bother me if I was on it for the rest of my life
I shit you not 
My mind and body are so used to it
Taking my methadone is the first thing I do every morning 
I can't imagine life without it
And quite frankly I don't want to
I know it's not healthy
I know I should be trying hard to come off it
But I am on it over ten years now
It's in my bones by this stage
It's an integral part of my life
Even the routine of going to the doctor every Monday morning is ingrained in me
I know I should probably be more enthusiastic about coming off it
About being truly clean and sober
But I'm not
And I don't 
And I don't know if that will ever change

The things is 
That I am on quite a lot of meds
And combining them all together 
Even just one days dose
Is enough to get me slightly out of my head 
Enough to make me sleepy and groggy
And I love that feeling 
And the other thing is
That now my high is legal
It's prescribed
I'm supposed to take it
So there is none of the scrimping and saving
And ducking and diving that goes along with heroin or any other drug
And it's free
I don't have to steal to get money for my drug
It's handed to me legally 
Over a shop counter 
So where is the onus to get clean?
Well when getting my drug is this easy
There really is none
The truth is 
That I am comfortable where I am
Comfortably numb to quote Pink Floyd
I have all the benefits of the drug
With none of the negative consequences
I have a constant and steady supply of meds
They cost me less than ten euros a month
I'm trusted to take a weeks meds at a time
And that suits me just fine

But the thing is
That although I am perfectly fine to stay where I am
My doctor is on a mission to get me off it completely 
If it was up to him
I would have been off it years ago
But like with an addiction
There have been many slips over the years 
And I've have to stall the reduction
And sometimes increase it
It's like I am digging my heels in
And refusing to go quietly 
I am probably the Bain of my doctors life
As I always put up a fight
And I know how to get around him 
I know it's not fair
I know I should co-operate more with him
But the addict in me is a powerful thing
And more often than not wins the argument

With me
It's a mental thing 
Taking my methadone is as much psychological
As it is physical 
The act of taking it
Drinking it every morning 
Is enough to ease my mind
Just knowing that it's on it's way in to my blood stream
Quells my anxiety 
If for some reason 
I have to take my methadone late 
Or I am held up in getting my meds
I feel like I immediately go in to withdrawal 
Even though realistically I probably wouldn't go in to withdrawal until 48 hours later
I still imagine that I have 
I once heard of a girl who was on two and a half mls of methadone 
Now that is most definitely a mental thing
Two and a half mls is nothing
Heck it would stick to the side of the bottle as you drank it

In other news
I haven't heard from my friend since last week
I don't quite know where to go from here
Should I cut her out of my life?
Cut my losses and move on
Or should I get over it
Have a conversation with her 
And try and stay friends? 
I'm not sure what to do really
But I feel no urge to contact her at the moment 
So I won't 

Well folks
That's all from me today 
See you on the next post..... 

13 comments:

  1. i completely understand, i don't want to feel and i am tired of trying and failing, everyday is a new day that i mess up.you are so close though i have never been so close, keep trying.your friend always, jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by way love abba! do u like murals wedding? x

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jo
      It's comforting to know that you are there
      But please don't give up on yourself
      You can still turn things around
      I promise you it's never too late

      OMG I love Murials Wedding
      One of the funniest films I've seen
      You're terrible Murial.....!!!! X

      Delete
    3. you could do fav film list one day unless u have already? love films. have huge list!! xx

      Delete
    4. Love that idea!
      No I've never done a film list
      But I might just do one soon x

      Delete
  2. I actually cried reading this. I am on methadone, too, I told you. I do not want you to give up!!! Please do not give in to this! what about work, education, love, your dreams? I am scared for you and also very scared that I will end up where you are now, being on it for ten years, never wanting to get off it. How will I ever achieve anything if I stay in this drousy half life forever? Ruby, is this really life? Isn't there more?

    Hugs

    Please do not give up

    PS. I am thinking to starting blog, but if my family find out I couldn't cope, they are very... known/influential/dangerous, i don't know how to put it. Any advice you could give me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josephin I am scared too
      That I will never want to live in reality
      Never want to follow my dreams
      Because I am always asleep
      And it's exactly like you describe
      A sleepy half life
      Somewhere between slumber and reality
      I'm hoping that I won't feel this way forever
      That I will find the motivation to live my life
      But right now
      I'm ashamed today that I don't have that motivation

      To answer your question
      If you want to blog
      It's very possible to stay anonymous
      Pick a name and blog title that your family would never guess
      And try not to blog on your family computer
      I do all my blogging on my phone now
      What else?
      Just keep your name and any of your family members names out of your blog
      Write generally do people won't recognise you or themselves
      If you have any more questions feel free to ask
      I'm not sure if this helped
      But blogging is an amazing thing to do
      To be part of this community has been an integral part of my recovery
      And my sanity
      So I would really recommend it
      Hope this helped x

      Delete
    2. thank you so much darlin, i am so happy i have found you(r blog), i felt so alone before. I never fitted the "addict" bracket if you know what i mean, and neither do you...it makes me feel so much less 'lost'...

      xxx

      Delete
  3. This is so sad :( Never give up!!

    xoxo ♥ www.beingasanmonica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubly, I'm concerned about you continuing to stay on, but it absolutely BREAKS MY ♥ to have you say that you feel 'ashamed that you don't have motivation'…(-!??)

    Lady, you HAVE been following your dreams-!!:
    THIS is the face of the 1 who:
    • has writ up literally 100s of posts helping & outreaching to the Ed\Ad community directly & those that love them;
    • has given a presentation & recently been interviewed to give hope to those w\Eds;
    • is coming up on a FULL YR of no smokes…-!
    • actually gave up weighing for over a fortnight-- Egads !!
    : O
    OYeh: & wasn't there also this very-small matter of not only having applied & interviewed for this dream business course but also having made the cut & been accepted-??!

    Do NOT sell yourself short.

    You've also got your hands full @ the moment w/a full-on, fulltime battle w/onea the sneakiest, most cunning & insidious entities in human existence !!
    Methinks this takes precedence over a 2ml/wk reduction--ESPECIALLY as ypu will get there eventually-!!
    'Baby'-steps & 1er things 1er

    (((Hugs))) Jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks
      Thank you Jils
      For reminding me that I have come a long way
      And there are many positives to be thankful for
      You are so kind and thoughtful
      Thank you so so much x

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't worry about the methadone unto the ED is in remission. You'll never be able to do both at once. Sort out the purging and self esteem.first. xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x