Thursday 16 July 2015

Are we all addicts?

I've written this post maybe twice before
First back in 2012
After I watched the documentary by the same name presented by Cherry Healy
And again in 2013 when I did an updated version
Now it's July 2015 
So I think we are due an update 
To see if we are still hanging on to the same old addictions?
Have we moved on?
Have we acquired new ones?
Where are we on the spectrum that is addiction?

The reason that I am writing this post today
Is that I was listening to the radio this morning
To one of the phone on shows
And one woman had rung in with a problem she was having 
She described how she couldn't stop buying scratch cards
And was spending a huge amount of money on them every week
She felt she was spinning out of control
As she was lying to get husband and children 
And was using money from their joint savings account
So her husband was going to find out sooner or later
This lady was in a lot of distress 
And felt that she was addicted 
She described how she went from shop to shop to feed her addiction
And how it was taking over her life
And ruining her peace of mind

I could relate to this woman so much 
The only thing that was different was the substance
And that's the thing I have found over the years
The essence of addiction is the same
The lying 
The cheating 
The manipulation
The shame
The guilt 
The utter misery
But the substance can vary wildly from person to person
In my case it was alcohol and drugs to begin with
And that morphed in to other addiction over the years
As I always say
It's the same shit
Different substance

I think I was born with an addictive personality
Addiction and mental health issues are rife on my fathers side of the family
And in my own immediate family of six
Four of us have experienced addiction
Thankfully all four of us are in some form of recovery 
Which I am eternally grateful for
The first thing I became addicted to was sugar
I craved it constantly 
I think my food issues started at a very young age
I loved my food 
And I was such an active child that I burned it all off 
Had I not been so active 
I'm pretty sure that I would have had a weight problem
I ate that much

As I grew in to a young teenager 
I started shop lifting 
And that quickly became an addiction too
And has continued to be a problem up until very recently 
Stealing was par for the course when I was in active addiction 
And also featured a lot during my ED
As you know
I was caught shoplifting recently
Thankfully the shop owner decided not to call the cops 
I don't know why 
But she let me go
That whole day was a nightmare 
I kept thinking that I was in a dream
And that I was going to wake up any moment
But I didn't 
It was all very real
The guilt and shame I felt was overwhelming
I was so disappointed in myself
So annoyed that it had come to this
They only saving grace is that I have now stopped shoplifting 
I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't prosecuted
I know it could have turned out a lot different 
I was thinking of sending the shop owner an apology letter
But my gut toms me to leave well enough alone
So I did

Age fourteen
And I smoke weed for the first time
Over the next few years I dabble 
And age 18 I became addicted to heroin
As well as various other prescription meds
The next five years are a blur
Eventually I put the needle down
But I picked up alcohol and pills
As my world began to crumble around me
I knew I had to get clean and sober
I was put on methadone
And that helped me to get stable
Since then I've had many slips and relapses 
But that's part and parcel of recovery

From the age of 14 
I was a heavy smoker
And smoked 30 a day
Spending €100 a week on cigarettes 
I loved smoking 
And if I was rich 
I have no doubt that I would still be smoking 
I didn't give up for health reasons 
I wish I could say that I did
But I gave up because I couldn't afford them
It's as simple as that 
I am now almost one year smoke free

But as is the pattern with me 
When I get one addiction under control
Another one spins out of control
And at the moment 
That is internet shopping 
Over the last year 
I have bought clothes every week 
Mostly on line 
I see something I like
I think my life would be complete if I had that item of clothing 
I order it on line
And basque in the delight that there is a parcel on its way to me
And getting said parcel is such a buzz
Taking it in to the house
And testing it open is such a rush
Better than Christmas
I try the item on
And for those few minutes I am satisfied
I wear the item once 
The novelty wears off
And I am back on the hunt on the Internet for the next item
It's getting out of control though 
Seriously 
My bedroom is bursting at the Sean's with clothes
I shit you not

Other addictions I have are drinking tea
I drink 15 -20 cups of hot sweet tea a day
I am constantly boiling the kettle
And I enjoy every single one of them
I'm drinking air more since I quit smoking 
It's just really comforting to have a piping hot cup of tea
It warms my body and my soul

White chocolate
Another addiction
It has to be Millybar
No other bar will do
Millybar is soft and creamy and it melts in your mouth
I buy five family size bars a day 
And eat every single one of them
They don't always have them in my local shop
So when I see them
I tend to stock up
So today I bought ten
But that won't even last me two days
I just can't get enough of the stuff

Hunky Dorys
These are crisps 
Or chips if you are from the U.S.
It has to be this brand
And it has to be salt and vinegar flavour
I'm ashamed to admit
That I sometimes have these for my breakfast
I buy two family size bags a day
And again 
Stock up when I can 
I swear it's a wonder that I am not obese

What else?
Since I bought my first iPhone last year
I am pretty much addicted to it
It's like another limb
I'm so attached to it

Television
I am such a tv addict
I love to lose myself in a show
It takes me out of my own head
And my own thoughts
It's an escape for me
I watch everything from dramas
To trashy reality tv
I don't discriminate

Meds 
I'm on variety of meds
Including methadone 
Not one but two anti depressants
And a high dose anti anxiety meds
I mean it's a wonder I'm still standing I take so much medication
I am mentally and physically addicted 
And can't imagine life without them

Reading 
I love a good book
I guess this is a very healthy addiction to have 
I read the same books over and over again
There is something so comforting about that

Other addictions include exercise to a certain extent
Purging 
Which is the Bain of my life 
Sleep 
I love to sleep 
And love going to bed at night
I adore that time of the night 
When I get in to bed 
Those few minutes before I fall asleep 
When my body and mind are exhausted 
My head is clear 
Not a care in the works 
And then slip in to the land of nod 
I love it

With all that said
I was wondering about you
What are you addicted to?
Do you have an addictive personality?
How do you deal with your addictions?
Fo they help or hinder your life?
Answers on a postcard please....

16 comments:

  1. Stop eating chocolate/crisps and stop taking methadone. Spot the difference. I think it cannot be regarded on the same level, although I have noticed that some people have the tendency to do so, when they have no idea about how tough the addiction to opiates is. I think addictions might originate from the same empty place within, but I think that opiate addiction is the worst. It effects your body and your internal reward system like nothing else, don't you think?

    What about the plumber??? I am so curious!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Josephin
      Opiate addiction is more serious than an addiction to chocolate
      I didn't mean to insinuate that it was
      Opiate addiction is the worst by far

      I haven't heard from the plumber since
      I live in hope...... X

      Delete
    2. Of course i did not mean that YOU thought it was!!! You know this far too well!

      x

      Delete
    3. I know hun
      Just a misunderstanding
      Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone of someone with the written word x

      Delete
  2. I don't have an addictive personality, but with Aspergers Syndroke comes obsession. As an Aspie I can become fixated on one thug and focus on it for hours.
    I've been obsessed with writing since primary school, I'm also obsessed with South Park, I know a lot of random facts about the show. Cats Nd horses are another obsession. My most recent obsessions are vintage cookbooks, I can't stop buying them when I go to an antique shop and also crochet. I started a couple of weeks ago and already have two rows of four for a blanket I'm making for a cat, and also baking sweet treats for my family and friends.
    I guess obsession is a bit different to addiction, but once I'm obsessed with something I put my whole heart and soul into it.
    I hope you're doing well Ruby, take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think obsession and addiction are similar
      But addiction seems to be when what ever the substance is starts to hinder your life negatively
      I am doing ok thanks for asking x

      Delete
  3. Gambling is a scary addiction. I had a friend struggling with it a few years ago, and I didn't even realize she had a problem until we went to Atlantic City together and I watched her feed like 7 hundred dollar bills into a slot machine in the space of 2 minutes.

    Internet shopping--I can relate to that. It's just too easy now to buy things online. I've gotten it mostly under control. I want to save up enough to move faaaaaar away from here (hopefully to Kentucky or Colorado, but KY is cheaper) so I've printed out a load of stickers with the state of Kentucky on them and stuck them to my work and home computers, and to my wallet so whenever I go to spend money, I'll see the sticker and think twice about it.

    Opiate addiction is an epidemic here now. I've lost count of how many people I know who have ended up dead or in jail because of it. I got lucky--I was abusing oxy to exercise, and then eventually was taking it just because I liked it, but I was able to stop without much of a problem. So far, giving up starving has been the toughest. At some point, the ED behaviors turned into a coping mechanism for general stress. The active desire to lose weight is gone, but the I-can't-deal-with-this-so-I'm-going-to-stop-eating reaction still rears its ugly head.

    Hunky Dorys?? Really?? Of all the crisps you have to choose from over there?!!? Lol we have shite crisps here so I generally don't eat them, but give me a packet of Rancheros or the meat-flavoured Taytos and I will inhale them in under 10 seconds.

    What tv programs are you watching? I love tv, but only at night before bed. I am running out of programs again. Hannibal has gone too boring, so all I have at the moment is Defiance, and Game of Thrones reruns. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gambling is one thing that never appealed to me at all
      And I am so glad as no doubt I would be bankrupt by now if I was

      Yes Ioooove Hunky Dorys
      Strangely I don't like Taytos at all
      When my sister lived in Australia
      We used to send them over to her in parcels
      She loved them

      At the moment I Amber really following anything
      I would like to see the new series of Orange is the new black
      And Better call Saul
      Can you recommend any good ones? X

      Delete
  4. Ah, internet shopping will be the bane of me... It's the thrill of the purchase, and the thrill of getting the items, and the thrill of using them; at least when I don't have to hide my stuff from the boyfriend so he won't realize how much I'm buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I know right?
      I love getting the email that says your item how now been shipped
      I love getting the package
      I love ripping it open
      It's so addictive! X

      Delete
  5. why does it have to be so hard ? every hour a struggle, long for sleep, wish i could be put into a deep sleep for a month to break the cycles.very very tired tonight . wish you get free soon my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know who this is
      Please do email me?
      Let me know that you are ok.. X

      Delete
  6. Yes I'm an addict to many things... it quells my self esteem issues. It hushes those noisy voices.

    At the moment it's the Internet and researching of a particular interest of mine. But also I'm obsessed with reading the Daily Mail and specifically reading the comments section! . Maybe it's because I am lively minded and have no one in my IRL life to talk about anything controversial, political or serious with. I like to check to see how crazy/brainwashed some of those commenters really are. But actually shutting out my real problems. Of which there are many.

    I've given up most vices, smoking, bad romances, drugs, drink,TV, anorexia,magazines, Internet shopping. I eat 3 meals....I need to be quite structured and I've made amazing steps forward.

    but I believe the problem stems from an identity crisis. I never had much identity other than party girl (which was also a mask).

    Some days I'm not too bad. But recently I had a major setback, screwed up THE opportunity of a lifetime. A job opportunity which would change my life but I didn't perform well at all at the interview. I think nerves.

    And it lead to bad time where I just went for the escapism. I multiplied my Internet addiction and did the bare minimum and shut everyone out. I felt pointless, a phoney a faker a waste of space.

    I'm getting back on an even keel now.

    But a big blow like that can set me back a lot...where it just all feels too hard.

    On the other hand in the past a small setback would send to to ED land and that's not happening anymore. So yay for that I guess.


    Xoxo xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've come a long way Shelby
      And been through so much
      Some times I wonder how we are still standing after all we have been through
      You are strong
      I don't know an awful lot about you
      But what I do know is that you are fierce loyal to the bitter end
      It's funny
      You all know so much about me
      But I don't know a whole lot about you
      And I want to

      I just saw that you deleted a couple of your comments
      I did get to read them
      I am just wondering why?
      And if you are ok?
      Do let me know please... X

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And when I say Internet addiction I mean I could be on it 12 hours plus if I didn't have to do other things. Which fortunately I do. And mostly I make myself. Except the last couple of days.

    But I can't give it up.right now. Maybe next.year.

    I should have added I've also been "addicted" to exercise and visiting psychics!!

    PS when I committed to the 3 meals a day plan I also had to commit to adequate protein which in the past I had not done. It really helps with out of control eating and cravings. As an anorexic I only ate veggies and bread at first but that morphed into only chocolate bars. Weird. But I never ate much protein and was in fact a vegan for many years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x