Tuesday 16 June 2015

The aftermath

It's been a couple of days since my sister and I had out last argument 
What started off as a petty squabble on Sunday night 
Soon escalated in to an out and out row
The second in a week
My mother was here on Sunday
And tried to get us to work it out 
But we were both too hurt and upset to make it up

The next morning 
I was in the living room
My sister came in and wanted to call a truce
We shook hands 
And murmured that we were sorry
I wanted the fighting to stop
If only for my poor mothers sake
It's not fair on her to have to listen to us
As she said herself
We were acting like children
Since then things have been very cool
And there is an icy atmosphere in the house
We are staying out of each other's way
Not easy
But we are trying 

I wrote in yesterday's post about wanting to move out
I wrote that post when I was still very upset
Now that I have calmed down a bit 
I know it would be silly to make a rash decision
Or make a decision out of anger
And you 
My wonderful readers 
Were  on hand with some great advice
Sonetimes it seems that you know me better than I know myself 
I consider myself more than fortunate to have a little army of people 
All with their own words of wisdom to pass on
So thank you for that

Of course
I still want to move out
And I crave independence so very much
But as one of my live readers pointed out
It's best not to make any major decisions in the first year of recovery 
I think this is sound advice
As the first year of recovery is hard enough
Without making any life changing decisions 
The first year of recovery is all about firsts 
First year clean and sober
First birthday
First Christmas
First holiday 
There is so much to contend with
Without having to make any major decisions
So
I will still look in to my options
And see what's what
At least then I can make an informed decision 

My mum and I were talking about my sister yesterday
And we both agreed that she is not herself
She is coming off her meds at the moment
And seems to be struggling with side effects
She is volatile 
And emotional 
And we are wondering whether she should be coming off them at all
But that's her decision 
And she seems determined to do it

When I was very unwell
Moving out was out of the question
I just wouldn't have managed by myself 
And also I had no urge to move out
I was too busy in self destruct mode
To care about anything else
I guess it's a good thing that I feel the need to spread my wings 
I just crave my own little place so badly 
But the way things are at the moment
It might not be the best idea 
 
I've made no secret of the fact that I am struggling to take my meds properly 
You know 
My family know 
The only people who don't know are the ones who really should know
The professionals 
I know I should get this situation under control
Or else it could escalate if I was on my own
I just can't trust myself at the moment 
I don't have the resistance to say no to drugs
And if I moved out
Away from the support of my family
Things could get worse rather than better
I know that I need to get this meds situation under control
Especially as I am due to start a course in September
And I really do want to be as well as I can be by then

Every night before I go to sleep 
I make a vow that I will do better tomorrow
That I'll get to a meeting
And start taking my meds correctly
Then morning comes around
And I misuse them again
Promising that this will be the last time
But it never is
I am the very definition of insanity
Doing the same thing over and over again
And expecting different results
I misuse my  meds 4-5 days out of 7
I skip my methadone some days
So I can take a double dose the following day
I also misuse my tablets
And the mixture has almost an opiate like effect

I know if I want to recover
And truly get well
That I can't continue in this way 
The thing is 
I have it easy
I get to use
Without any of the negative consequences 
I have a nice place to live
A roof over my head 
Clothes on my back
And food in my fridge
My drugs are free
They are prescribed 
So I am not doing anything illegal 
I don't have to steal 
Or beak the law to get my fix
I don't have to associate with other addicts
This is the tricky thing about meds 
They are prescribed
And completely legal
But in abusing them
In my mind
That is as good as using
Same shit
Different substance 
So you see
There isn't the urgency
Or the impotuse to stop the behaviour 

I think if I were to move out now
My addiction issues could well get worse
As there would be no one else there 
A huge part of my sobriety is staying clean for  my family
I know
I should do it for myself 
But if that was the only way
I'd never get clean
Integrity is doing the right thing
Even when no one is watching
I don't know if I have much integrity right now

So I will stay put
For now
It's not the right time to move out
And I would be doing it for all the wrong reasons 
So I guess I will make the best of the situation
It's horrible to be on such bad terms 
But 
It is what it is
I know I need to give my sister a break 
As she is dealing with a lot 
But I also have to protect myself and my recovery 
They say you can't pick your family 
And that is true 
Usually I get on great with my sister
Which makes me think that a lot of this has to do with her coming off her meds

So I will wait
I'm still in the very early stages of recovery 
I'm just finding my feet really
And learning to live life on life's terms 
It's not easy 
Reality is boring 
And tedious
And monotonous 
And I tend to escape any chance that I get
But I have to learn to deal 
Or else I will be running away from myself forever 
I don't want that 
I want to be able to live a good life
To be happy to be in my body and mind 

Again
Thank you so much for all your continued support
It means more than you will ever know
I feel blessed and lucky to be part of this community 
I just hope that I can give back to you even a little bit of the kindness that you have showed me

12 comments:

  1. It is so easy to abuse prescribed meds. Have the doctors over there gotten as prescription-happy as they are here? Everyone I know is on some kind of medication for either depression or anxiety or both. It's a constant battle of will for me not to go back to the doctor to get more xanax, because I know I don't need it, I just want the drugs.

    I guess the best thing is to find something healthy to replace the high you get from the meds. Some other way of escaping reality (which is something we all need every now and then). For me, it was throwing myself into any and every hobby I could find (writing groups, bird watching with the Audubon Society[I know, I'm a giant nerd, but it's super fun], volunteering to help with pretty much every single church event, geocaching, music lessons, etc etc etc). That left zero free time to feel like I needed to escape with the sedatives. And after a while, I just kind of forgot about the drugs.

    That's great you're starting a course in September! Anything interesting/exciting?

    I hope your sister gets well. Coming off of meds is tough. Keeping both of you in my prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich
      I find that too
      That keeping busy heps me stay out of trouble
      The course I hope to start is business and computers
      Not the most exciting thing in the world
      But really need to brush up on the ol computer skills
      It's part time over two years
      So I'm looking forward to it a lot
      I guess that gives me a couple of months to get things under control
      I've decided that I'm going to speak to my doctor next Monday
      It just has to be done

      Thanks Mich
      You are a star! X

      Delete
  2. i think sometimes its possible to come so far and get a bit stuck, and feel what now. i think the course sounds a great idea and you will get a chance to meet new people afresh,i like that because i can be who i want because know one knows me and i haven't messed up yet!! also i think talking to your dr will be good I'm sure he has heard this from other patients and won't be shocked, he will be there to help you, good luck and keep smiling, love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo
      I am looking forward to the course
      And I really want to be as well as I can be come September
      So yes
      I will speak to my doctor next Monday
      I just have to bite the bullet and do it
      Then I can be truly clean and sober
      And move on with my life in a positive direction

      Thanks Jo for your support
      It means a lot x

      Delete
    2. Great thoughts jo

      Shelby

      Delete
  3. Hi Ruby,

    I haven't been following your blog long, so maybe you've already addressed this, but have you ever thought of trying meditation? It doesn't have to be super-spiritual or anything. I've heard from other people that it really does help to reduce anxiety and help quell that feeling of needing something after a while. Some people use guided meditations via apps on their phones; others go to groups - there are different ways to do it. It's something I keep telling myself I should try, just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

    Anyway, good luck with everything, especially being more honest with your doctors! I'm finally pursuing professional help, and I'm not looking forward to having to "come clean" with them, so i feel some of your pain. If it weren't for my husband encouraging me, I totally wouldn't be doing it - I too struggle to do the right thing when my eyes are the only ones watching, even though I intellectually know better.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. The course will give you more of a routine as well. At the moment I have no routine because I'm not studying and I'm not really working.
    I too have a bad struggles with medication before, but my issue was not taking them at all when I should have been and I really deteriorated mentally and lost my job because of it. Getting on top of things will help a lot as it has for me. I'm a lot more stable now. Definitely talk to your doctor, Mary and Breda about it. They know you and they'll kkow the best way to help you out.
    Take care Ruby and good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate monotony but my everyday life at the uni looks similiar. I want to move out of the house too, and I'm thinking about leaving right after graduation. I hope this time I really can do it. For me is one more year to go so I can prepare myself, and think it through. We regret chances we didn't take, and taking a risk is more interesting than spending whole life in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am so glad that you are putting your decision to move out on hold.

    when i read the last post, i felt like you were trying to justify a rash decision more so. you talk like i do when i am trying to justify a rash decision. i think you should really wait until you are ready, and have that nice little closure later on.

    i think you should do your best to try and get out of the sis' way as much. with my Mum, everything can go into a fight in seconds, so the only way you can abstain from going into a fight is really silence in my opinion. whatever she says, i have to agree with it if i don't want to spend the last two hours fighting about something minuscule.

    you are both taking huge steps into your lives at the moment and are in very vulnerable places. i hope that you're able to keep your feet on the ground, Ruby. you need to be around here, and as you said, you need to experience all these first. i've been in recovery for a long time and this is actually going to be the first Ramadan i spent that is not dominated by ED. i think i've solidly been in recovery for 3 years now. fucking Hell, that tells you something now, doesn't it?

    it takes a long time, and it's a long process. i don't think you should move out until you are sure that if left in your own devices, you will do nothing to harm yourself or risk ending up in the same place as you were before. honestly, i don't think you should do anything until you feel like you and your ED are very far away from each other.

    i am feeling the distance more and more, but it's a long process. it takes a long, long time. and you know that. you've struggled with so much for so long that it will probably take you a longer time, but i am confident that you will beat this thing in the bloody ass.

    you are a miracle, Ruby. don't make anyone think otherwise.


    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  7. My general rule is to begin doing things I gear while I still have support from others so that I can't bolster my confidence. It's like a safety net. When the time comes that it's my turn to do it alone, I feel more confident and capable of completing the task or goal. For the first year or so of recovery I would do just that. Have accountability, have a routine established that you can fall back on when no one is there. I very much think that it's important you come clean to the professionals in your life and honest with yourself because that's an accident waiting to happen when you decide to live on your own. I once talked with a veteran who had once struggled with substance abuse, opiates especially, and so he told his doctor. Due to his service over in Iraq, he now has a back injury which causes him pain but he won't take controlled pain killers as it threatens his sobriety. The doctor knows this and they work together to manage the paint without them. I think it's best to find a doctor that you can be candid with and have this conversation so that you can be safest when you have to be strong on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the typos.. My phone can be silly. I meant I do things to bolster my confidence while I have support in order to fight those fears.

      Delete
  8. Tension at home is no good. It's a bit the same here at Casa Bella. The air is to tense you could cut it with a knife (if you could get around the elephant in the room!)

    I have faith that things will work out in the end. Arguments happen, especially with medication changes. I know that doesn't make it any easier now, but if it's not okay, it's not the end.

    As everyone else has said, moving out is a big decision at the best of times, but I worry you'd be extremely vulnerable with your mental and physical health. I think it's wise of you to put it off a while longer.

    I really feel for you with the meds, on so many levels. Even still, it's so easy for me to think "but if you go back to daily dispensing things'll start improving", despite the fact I know full well it doesn't quite work that way.

    Love you Ruby *HUGS*
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x