Monday 15 June 2015

From bad to worse

Things with my sister have gone from bad to worse
We made up after out fight last week
But things erupted again last night
This time with my poor mother in the middle of it all
We had a short but nasty row
It escalated so quickly
And now there is a sour atmosphere in the house
I spoke to my mum this morning
And she seems to think my sister has such a short fuse at the moment
Because she is coming off her meds 
I think I mentioned before
That my sister has suffered with depression in recent years
And is on an anti depressant 
Recently she had started to come of it
And she has been like a bull dog chewing a wasp for the past couple of weeks 

Of course I am not entirely innocent either
We know each other well
And know exactly how to push each other's buttons
I know how to wind get up
What will drive her mad
It escalated so quickly
One minute we were fine
The next
World war 3 was breaking out
My mother called us both in to the kitchen
And tried to broker some sort of peace
But neither myself or my sister were willing to back down
Stubborn as we are
Mum made the point that we all have to live together
We all have to find a way to get on
This is true
And mum is retiring in a couple of weeks 
So there will be three of us in the house from then on
It's rally not fair to have mum in the middle of this 
And I hate that it's effecting her so much 

They say you should never go to bed on an argument
Well we did last night 
And woke up this morning feeling almost hungover
With a heaviness in my head
I went to the doctor  first thing
It was Nice Woman Doctor again
She asks how I am 
I hesitate 
And she asks what that is about
I tell her that I am thinking of moving out on my own 
Which I am
It's always been in the back of my mind 
And these rows have just kind of made it more urgent
I can't say too much to the doctor
As she is also my sisters doctor
We talked for a little while
She told me to weigh up the pros and cons 
Which I will do

But yes 
I am seriously thinking of moving out
It's not just the tension with my sister
Now that I am feeling a lot better
I have a huge urge to be independent 
To do my own thing
To have my own little corner of the world 
The more I think about it
The more I think it's a good idea
I spoke to my mother about it this morning
She advised me not to make a decision out of anger 
And not to rush out in haste
I know what she is saying 
And I won't rush in to anything
I guess it doesn't hurt to find out what my options are
Obviously I am on disability benefit
And won't be able to privately rent 
So I will have to find out what I am entitled to
In the line of rent allowance and such

I just can't live like this
It's not healthy for any of us 
And I'm sure my sister is just as fed up as I am
I know that I am no angel 
I give as good as I get
And I do acknowledge that my sister is coming off her meds
And is probably not herself these days 
But I can't live like this 
With this horrible atmosphere lingering
At the moment
No one is happy
Not me
Not my sister 
Definitely not my mother
Who is caught in the cross fire

This week the plan is to stay out of my sisters way
Get to a lot of meetings
Talki things over with Breda and Mary 
I'm interested to see what they think about the situation
Meet my friends 
Marie rents with rent allowance
So I will pick her brains about how to go about applying for that
I will also inquire about what my options are
There are so many empty houses around here
Do it won't be hard to find a place
It really boils down to how I will manage financially 
At the moment 
I have few bills
No rent to pay
I contribute a certain amount every week to shopping and bills
I pay my own car tax, insurance and my phone bill
If I move in to my own place
I will have considerably more out goings 
Money will be a lot tighter 
So I guess I have to weigh up which is more important
To live here in the tension
And have more disposable income
Or move out and have that independence but less money
At the moment 
The latter seems more appealing to me

They say you can't pick your family
And it's so true
My sister is home nearly a year now
And although we've had the odd fight in that time
Things have deteriorated a lot in the past couple of weeks
Usually we get on like a house on fire
But that fire can turn nasty very easily 
And now it is suffocating us both
So the option of moving out seems really attractive right now
 
When I was very ill
Moving out just wasn't an option
I needed the support of my family 
I wouldn't have been able to manage on my own
There was always someone here with me
But now that I am feeling physically and mentally better
I crave independence so so much
Don't get me wrong 
I love living with my mum
I love this house 
And I know it's company for mum too
I've always felt very at home here 
It's given me the time and space to recover
I've been living here ten years now
And although I've loved it
I just have the feeling that it's time to move on
To spread my wings a bit more
And find my own little place
Here 
Even though I feel very comfortable 
I'm living in someone else's house
Under their rules
I want to make my own rules
I want to do things my way
Take responsibility of my own life

Of course Honey and Lea would come with me
And I do acknowledge that it would be a huge change for them too
They know no other way other than living here
And they are so comfortable here
So at home
They place I move to would have to be animal friendly 
There's just no way on this earth that I would move without them 

But
As I said 
I won't make any rash decisions
I will investigate my options
Put the feelers out 
And go from there
I must admit though 
It's really exciting to think of having my own place
The other thing is that I have to be able to trust myself
Living on my own
It would be do easy to use 
To drink
To starve
To binge and purge
I need to be sure that I can manage those things
And to be completely honesty
I'm not entirely sure I can trust myself 

Do that's where I'm at today
I would love to get your thoughts on the situation
Do you think I am being rash?
Do you think insipid wait?
What do you think I should do about the situation with my sister?
I'd live to know......

19 comments:

  1. Hey ruby! I'm in a similar situation I'm 19 have 4 younger siblings. I have anorexia anxiety (apparently bpd or bpd traits they cant make up their minds and probably a bit of depression too) and obsessive tendencies. About a month ago my an got out of control (again) and my mum kicked me out so i would stop ruining her life and the kids (yep thats what she told me) I ended up deteriorating physically and mentally. I was couch surfing. And Overdosing ending up in resus a few times. Very scary times. Last two thursdays ago i moved home. My sister below me hates me for it. But my depression and suicidality has subsided. I have stability again. I'm home. But most importantly I'm happy. I have a sight for the future. I have goals. I'm looking at going raw (vegan) and i was talking to my friend about it last night. She's moving out in september and she offered me yes me the nutcase to move in with her. On the inside im jumping with joy but on the other hand my hearts flipping what if i cant get a job in time i live off benefits what if i get sick again? When my parents kicked me out i ended up in crisis accommodation I was alone it was nice to have my own space although i was so alone and really not in a good mind space i ended up trying to kill myself and being kicked out. I loved the independence my freedom i could do what i want when i wanted but i was just too sick and the instability really lingered over me. So it didn't pan out. But i have found a new spark and i feel really good now im home i feel stronger and in 9-10 weeks at this rate i'll be even stronger and hopefully strong enough to move out. I guess this is a really long winded way of saying independence is great as long as your well enough and have stability couch surfing battling a full blown ed no financial income couch surfing and a family that want no contact with you is harrowing and i almost lost my life because of it but i am stronger because of it and i've got a taste of life. I now know its not where you live because you can make any house a home. I hope this makes sense sorry for the essay, I think i'm gonna go for it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh that's really tough
      I'm guessing that you are a lot younger than me
      But it makes no difference
      We go through the same things
      I hope it all works out for you
      And you do get to call somewhere safe your home
      I hope I do too x

      Delete
    2. Yeah I'm 19. I guess it will work out in time it always does. I'm optimistic :) good luck ruby xx

      Delete
  2. Just let it blow over first ruby roo. I don't think it'd time.
    I'm saying this with love.

    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Shelby
      I won't make any rash decisions
      I'll just find out what my options are
      And go from there
      I know everyone here has my best interests at heart
      And I am grateful for that
      Things have calmed down a little now
      We called a truce this morning
      But I'm still thinking of moving out
      I'll have to see I guess x

      Delete
  3. I can really understand wanting to be independent, but it has to be for the right reasons. I also know about sibling rivalry... And that's why I had to move out when I was 19.

    Just think it through. Maybe your sister wants to move out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will think it through hun
      The thing is that my mum is retiring in two weeks
      Then the three of us will be here full time
      I crave my own space so much
      But I won't do anything in haste x

      Delete
  4. i agree its something good to aim for but when the time is right, i worry that you put lots of pressure on yourself at a time where although your doing well you are still a bit fragile? so yes definitely start making enquiries but don't rush into anything things will settle down I'm sure in time and something may turn up in the meantime.hope that comes across ok and not too putting a damper on your plans. just want things not to be too hard for you, jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're not at all Jo
      What you say makes a lot of sense
      It's a big decision to make
      And I have to be sure that I am ready And able
      But yes
      I will suss out what's what
      And go from there x

      Delete
  5. Dia duit, Sweet Rubs!

    Ay, I'm so sorry about the situ w/Sissy & you!! : ( It must be all the more difficult being that you normally get on so famously. I shall Pray that Peace be restored to your household-!!
    Good on ya not rushing forth into things, [although you've been wanting well before now to have your independence].
    l have this thing where I will randomly have a 'flash' from the past where I think of something for no apparent reason, but then it becomes quite clear in very-near future:
    This past wkend, it kept coming to my mind, "make no major decisions during your 1er yr in programme." I was reflecting on 2007 when I had oppty/the choice to move to England, (ironically w/my sister!) ; ) I had just started my OA [FAA] mtgs in April that yr. Unlike you, I REALLY didn't want to go despite the advantages & how it would have helped me out financially. I AGONISED literally shedding many tears, I didn't kno what to do. Then @ a point, that saying came bk to me: "DON'T MAKE ANY MAJOR DECISIONS…"
    l have no circumstances in my present life for which this is applicable; I'm thinking this memory was brought to mind for Your potential benefit-? You ARE much stronger than you were, [Praise G-D !!!!!] Yet & still, you are just-starting incorporating Programme w/true dedication; I would advise waiting the move just a bit, get more Recovery under your belt, yeah-? You're so much stronger now: Imagine how you'll feel even just a couple months down the road-!? [Also Sissy will surely be feeling much better well b4 then-!] ; )
    Please give time a bit of time, Darling; & AW, other accommodation will more 'n' likely still be there later, even should you choose not to wait the entire year-!!

    Love you HEAPS-! :D
    Jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you remembered!!
      Dis is Muire duit....

      Yes I've heard that too
      Don't make any major decisions in the first year
      And don't get in to any relationships for the first two years
      I think it's sound advice
      And is making me rethink things..... X

      Delete
  6. Sounds a lot like my house, except it's Mum and Lil, Sis constantly at each others' throats with me in the middle. I wish we had your resources in the States, but sadly if you want government aid as far as getting a place to live, you have no choice but living somewhere horrible like Paterson or Newark (crime rates there are through the roof).

    I think it might be too soon to be on your own. Of course, only you can know for sure when you're ready, but just from reading all of your posts and remembering my own experiences in recovery, I think it might be too soon. It can feel like torture, wanting your own place and feeling like you're trapped in a cage at home (I am in this *wonderful* mental place right now), but it would probably be a good idea to sit tight for a while.

    I hope everything works out with your sister. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich
      I appreciate your thoughts
      Things have calmed down some
      We are not speaking
      But at least we are not fighting x

      Delete
  7. I agree with what's been written; it seems the consensus is you're a bit fragile? You've been working so so hard; it would be awful for it to be jeopardized. Of course, living in a high-stress situation isn't good for your recovery, either. So it's a hard choice.

    Can you spend some time out of doors or in town for just a bit during the day to give yourself space and time alone? I can sit all day in a coffee shop, reading and drinking hot tea and people-watching.

    I hope things improve soon. xxx Small

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Small
      Yes the general consensus seems to be to take my time
      And not rush in to anything

      And yes
      That's good advice
      To get out of the house
      And do my own thing
      I will definitely be doing that x

      Delete
  8. I know how you feel. I went from living on my own to being back home with my mom. I know that right now I can't be on my own. I'm too early in my sobriety still and with my bulimia it'd be a nightmare. Plus, when I lived on my own, it was with my ex, so I've never lived alone, alone. It's a scary thought. I know I'd quickly spiral out of control. But there are days when I get sick of being told what to do. But I actually have it really good right now. We rent a house that has two units. I rent the upper one from my mom and she and my brother stay in the lower unit. So I can have my space and independence but can always run downstairs if I'm having a bad day or need to talk or something.

    That being said, if you can't 100% trust yourself yet I personally wouldn't risk it. Not saying you couldn't do it, just saying I know how easy it is to slip up when there's nobody around to stop you. You'd be alone with you and your thoughts, cravings, etc.It could really backfire. But I also know how unhealthy it can be living with those emotions and stress of arguments. The emotions that come with them aren't good for your recovery either. So it'd really come down to the pros/cons and what you trust in your gut is right for you AND your recovery.

    A good suggestion may be to move somewhere within very close range to your mom's house. That way if something comes up or you need to talk or be around her or in a safe place in her home, you can do so easily without any hassle. That way you know that in the event that you needed family support, they'd be close by. Plus that allows for you to visit her so she doesn't get too lonely as well.

    I'm not sure how it works there, but I'm also on some sort of social assistance money wise. After rent I have barely 300 dollars (Canadian) to live with for the whole month. The only way I can do it successfully is if I really plan ahead and budget. I even have little jars for 'food', 'clothes', 'gas', 'savings' etc. So every month I put the amount of money I can spend in each jar and that's all I will spend. You can take it out of another jar, but only if you don't mind not spending the money where it was assigned. It just helps me visibly see the money so I don't overspend.

    Anyways, there's a lot to think about, so take your time and make the choice when things have cooled down with your sister. It wouldn't be good if you made the choice to move when things are bad with her because the choice may not be the most wise for you. So just take some time to think it all over and come up with a plan for money, recovery, etc. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll do great,.


    Much love, xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun,

      Thanks for this
      You make a lot of sense
      You are right
      I can't trust myself
      Not yet at least
      I need to get a good foundation in my recovery
      And I'm not there yet
      It's still such early days
      And I need to sort my meds out too
      First things first
      I will work on myself and my recovery
      And go from there
      Too many things going on right now
      So I will make a decision when things have settled down some

      Love to you too x

      Delete
    2. Hey hun,

      Thanks for this
      You make a lot of sense
      You are right
      I can't trust myself
      Not yet at least
      I need to get a good foundation in my recovery
      And I'm not there yet
      It's still such early days
      And I need to sort my meds out too
      First things first
      I will work on myself and my recovery
      And go from there
      Too many things going on right now
      So I will make a decision when things have settled down some

      Love to you too x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x