Sunday 14 June 2015

Blogging

Since I started writing my blog is April
2012
Blogging had become an integral part of my life
More than a hobby 
It's something that I feel compelled to do
And it's part of my everyday routine
Every morning
After I walk my dogs 
I settle down on the floor of the living room
My back to the sofa
Cup of hot sweet tea at hand
And just write until the mess of tangled words in my head makes some sort of sense
While I walk my dogs
I listen to the radio 
I love chat shows
And phone in shows
Listening to conversation 
Without the pressure of having to contribute
I also think about what I'm going to write about that day
And by the time I get home
I have the bones of a post formed in my head
I try to write every day
I do that on purpose 
Because writing my blog is something I do every day 
One day at a time
A lot like AA

Inspiration comes from everywhere 
And I'm always on the look out for interesting topics
Something might happen in my life
Like my relapse
Or getting caught shoplifting
I might review a book I've read 
Or a documentary I've watched
It might be an item about mental health or addiction highlighted in the news
It may be a personal post
A thought post
A story from my past
Inspiration is everywhere 
And I get my cues to write in the most obscure places

I've always written 
For as long as I can remember
I kept diaries 
Logs of different times in my life 
Usually when I was in treatment 
And had the time and energy and clarity of mind to write
There something lovely about documenting a moment in time
Something that the memory fails to recall no matter how hard you try
There were a few years where I wrote pretty much nothing
I was on the throes of addiction
And it just didn't seem important 
Now I wish I had documented that time
As there are so many stories
Things you couldn't make up 
Things that memory can't quite do justice to 
As I have said before
When I think back to that time
I can't quite work out if something really happened 
Or if it was a dream
Or a hallucination 
Because it could have easily been any of them

I was a late comer to the world of the internet
What with being strung out
It held no interest to me
Then I moved to a place where there was no internet connection
And do it wasn't until a few years ago that I first dipped my toe in the World Wide Web
By then 
My ED was in full flight
And I began looking for others like me
I started reading blogs probably about a year before I decided to write my own
By then 
Blogging  was huge
And every one and their mother had a blog
I didn't expect anything from blogging
I just wanted to know that I wasn't alone
That there were others like me
And people who had come out the other side alive and well

Blogging is a strange phenomenon 
And what with Facebook
Tumblr
YouTube 
Twitter
And Instagram 
It seems everyone wants to share their lives with anyone who will read, watch, listen
I don't use FB
Never have 
But of course I have looked at it
Yes something's are thought provoking and funny
And I do recognise the place social media has 
I guess I use my blog instead of Facebook
As I find it much easier to share my life with strangers than I do with those I know personally 
I thought about why that is
And I think it's because I'm not emotionally attached to the person
I'm not going to hurt them
Or disappoint them
Or let them down
Or worry them 
I can share my thoughts and experiences safe in the knowledge that there will be no come back
Is it the same for everyone?
I don't know 
You tell me

I share most things on the Internet
So I can't really give out about others who do the same
But why do we do it?
What compels us to share our thoughts
Our experiences
Our triumphs and failures
Our deepest secrets
And our sickness?
Maybe it's because we don't have anyone in real life to share them with
Maybe we are looking for others like us
Maybe we want sympathy
Or empathy
Maybe we want our struggles and pain to be acknowledged 
Maybe we want attention
Recognition
Maybe we want notoriety
Maybe we want to shock others
Maybe we have more sinister reasons
If I am really honest 
When ever something happens in my life
One of my first thoughts is
Oh that's something to write about 
How healthy is that?
I'm not entirely sure 

Of course
We wouldn't write 
If we didn't get some kind of payoff
For me
It's the connection with others 
The hope that my experiences will help
Someone else get through the day
I'm lucky to have amazing readers
Who leave such thoughtful and kind comments
Which absolutely make my day
Everyday 
I get emails from people across the world 
I feel privileged that these people share their stories with me
And I always try to reply 
Of course there is the odd nasty comment
But that's to be expected 
When you put yourself out there

On the whole 
Blogging has been an extremely positive experience
And force for good in my life
I read back over posts 
That I have no recollection of writing 
And I wonder how I am still standing 
It just goes to show what we can withstand 
And overcome when we have to 

With all that said
I was wondering about you
Why did you start blogging?
Has it been a force for good in your life?
How long have you been writing?
How often do you write?
Answers on a postcard please ......

 

10 comments:

  1. I started blogging a year ago, and it helps. I drift away a lot :P but I will always come back. The frequency of my writing is dwindling but I hope to pick it up again. I am glad blogging helps you and I'm happy to call you a friend Ruby, I've missed you!

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too Christie
      Don't be a stranger x

      Delete
  2. hi ruby probably shouldn't comment as don't blog myself so can't answer your questions! just wanted to say again how much difference yours makes to my life and how much it means to me. my problems are very secret and have never had help so i love to be honest here.i have never had the impression that you are out to shock, or seeking sympathy or attention.just brave and honest enough to share your story, and i am so happy that you do. so thank you dear ruby xx jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Jo
      It means so much that you would say that
      I always look forward to hearing from you
      Your words always uplift me
      Am always here for you
      Always hoping and praying for you x

      Delete
  3. I started blogging as I don't really have anyone I can talk to about things, and I just wanted a place where I could share my story and help others, I love blogging and I like having a space where I can write what I want and not be judged by people I know in real life! I love that we get to connect with more people and it's nice to know there are some good people in this world.

    www.libertylifeandselfhelp.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've blogged for years in an online ED support group. I'm not consistent, but it's important to feel connected to a community where there are people who understand and who don't judge. Support comes IRL, too, but often it's tinged with so much worry/hand-wringing and it's just not the same. As you and others have said many times, I share things online that my closest IRL friends don't know. It's just a different, and very safe, place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story helps me.

    I hope I can help you.


    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure how long I've considered it blogging... I started on a site I can't remember the name of.. and then there was Xanga, and I think I started my first one in college so probably 10 years ago. To me it was journaling. The thing is that I never could keep a written journal for any extended period of time. I lost them or lost interest and stopped writing (or I have this weird thing where something in my life changes and I absolutely have to start in a new journal rather than write in an old one) . But it wasn't private.. the original Xanga I shared with my friends as well as various online strangers (who became more like friends) until one of my friends gave the link to my parents.. basically because my ED was out of control and she was worried.

    But since then nobody I know in real life know about this blog. I've had it a little over a year.. basically Xanga shut down and I started an account a couple places but settled on here because I liked the site and the people. I never was sure if it was a good for me or not.. sometimes I focus too much on the negative or on the sickness, but I think it's better to get it out. I never share this much with people in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always, always written. I think that if I didn't write, I wouldn't be here. There were times in my life where suicide seemed like the only option.Writing kept me from going through with it. It was like I could put all the darkness and pain into words and out of my head.

    I often regret not blogging in the deep throws of addiction, because as you said, the stories can't be made up and telling them from memory often doesn't do it justice. I have done so, so many crazy, dangerous things and the only proof of it is in my mind. But I started the blog in my very first year of addiction. In fact, i started it a week before my dad passed away as a bulimia blog. But then as I started using, it morphed into both. I always wrote for myself. But I always had the opinion that if I write for myself and it can help another in any way at all, then that's amazing. I don't need people to read my writing, but if it helps them, then it some way helps me too. All I want is for people to feel that they aren't alone and that there is hope.

    Aside from blogging, I write as much as I can. It used to be diary like, but I've always preferred fiction. I love to write poems and stories that I take from my real life, but add a fictional aspect. So they're often about me, but not about me. If that makes sense. I found a song I wrote about my ED for a class. I still keep them all. Writing is my life and love.

    Plus, if you think about it, without all of us writing, we would have never found each other. So every person writing in this community wouldn't have been here to inspire, support, read, give advice, etc if they hadn't chosen to put their writing out there. It's a beautiful thing really. Writing connecting all of us from all over the world, all with similar struggles and all supporting one another. Just amazing.

    Much love, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started blogging a bit earlier. My blog went from a class exercise to something more personal. It started as a way to talk about my writing and trying to get published, now it's more about everyday life on top of that as well as posts about my cats.
    I'm hoping to post another story up soon as I haven't added a writing sample in a little while.
    I love reading your blog because of the way you write. Even someone like me that doesn't have an ED, but struggles with anxiety and the like can relate.
    I hope you're doing well Ruby, take care dear x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x