Friday 10 April 2015

8 months

I am delighted and proud 
To tell you all
That I am 8 months smoke free today!
After almost 20 years of smoking 30 a day
I finally gave up last August 
While I was away in London
I think I can now officially call myself a non smoker

I loved smoking 
Loved every thing about it
At regular intervals through out the day
I used to make myself a cup of tea
And take 5 minutes out for a cigarette
Those minutes were precious
I did my best thinking at this time 

Cigarettes punctuated my life
And for a long time 
I had no desire to give up
Even though I was spending €100 a week on them
And was constantly broke
I loved them too much to give them up
And of course I believed the myth that if you give up smoking
Then you gain a lot of weight
I wasn't going to chance it

I wish I could say that I gave up for health reasons 
I didn't 
I gave up because I could no longer afford them
That was the only reason
If I were rich
I would definitely still be smoking

Last August 
My uncle went to Turkey 
And brought me back two cartons of my favourite brand
I decided that when they were gone
Then I would give up
I smoked my head off for the next two weeks 
And thoroughly enjoyed every one of them
Then 
One Monday morning 
At 10 30am
I found myself with my last cigarette
I waited until I was dying for it
Then I went out to the garden
Settled on the bench 
With a cup of tea
And my book
Conditions had to be perfect for my last one
I lit the cigarette
And inhaled deeply
I drank in every bit of it
And all too soon it was over 
I smoked it right down to the butt
And said my goodbyes as I extinguished it
That was it
My love affair with cigarettes was over

Since that morning
I haven't looked back
Haven't even wanted to
I made up my mind that I was going to quit 
And when I put my mind to something
I really give it my all
Ive heard it said 
That cigarettes are harder to give up than heroin
Just to set the record straight
That is uter horse shit
Heroin is by far the hardest thing I have ever given up
Don't get me wrong
Giving up smoking is tricky
But with heroin you have the double whammy of being both physically and mentally addicted
At least with smoking there are no physical withdrawals
It's more a mental thing

Today is a good day
It shows me that I can achieve when I put my mind to it
That I can overcome the obstacles in my life
It is possible to succeed at the goals we set ourselves 
Today is a good day 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby ^-^
    First off, wow, well done with the 8 year mark. Even though it might not have been as difficult as some other stuff you've been through it's still big stuff.
    My dad found it terribly difficult to give it up. Right to the very end he was struggling and only just managed to give up before he passed.
    To be honest I think he only gave up because he knew he was going and he wanted to inspire his wife and my older sister to give up, but that story is not here nor there.
    You are obviously a really really strong person and I'm glad you see that today :)

    Secondly, thank you so much for dropping by my blog. I already answered your comment there, but I'll say it again here, you are right, there are amazing people here and I'm eternally grateful for this lovely outlet.

    Take care lovely lady
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mandy,

      Oh I'm sorry your dad passed away.
      Was that long ago?

      Your welcome
      I actually need to put your blog and a few others in to my reader
      Queen of procrastination over here x

      Delete
    2. Thank you ^-^ He passed away this year on Valentines Day.
      I'm doing ok though - yesterday I found a photo album I put together for him for fathers day a few years ago and it's a little tough, but at the same time it's lovely to remember.
      I hope you're having a good day dear, take care xx

      Delete
    3. It's great you can remember the good times
      That is so important

      Take care of you too x

      Delete
  2. thats so great ruby! how long was it before you stopped craving it? people have told me 3 weeks and not sure if i could hold out that long but want to try. thanks, jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest Jo
      I still get the odd craving
      But they don't last long
      But I would say that it takes a little while mentally to become a non smoker
      How many do you smoke a day? X

      Delete
    2. i dont smoke in the day anymore, but have to have couple when i get up and before i go to bed, not lots i know but just can't seem to stop completely. there is so much i need to stop don't know where to start.funny find so much willpower when it comes to some things and none with others! x

      Delete
    3. I know well
      It's the habit that is so hard to break
      But it is possible
      If I can give up
      Then anyone can
      Believe me x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Ruby, it's good that you've given them up regardless of the reason, my mum used to smoke almost as much and she's been smoke free for five years, maybe more. I know you can do it, you are incredibly strong x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congrats Ruby! I can't believe it's been 8 months. You're one strong woman. I can relate to only really being motivated by financial reasons. Even with health issues, the only time I manage to cut back is when my budget dictates it.
    Here's to 8 months more :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella
      I actually surprised myself that I stayed off them
      And none of my family though I would do it
      As I smoked so much
      It's just great to know that I can achieve something if I set my mind to it

      And yes
      Here's to another eight months

      Love ya x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x