Saturday 21 March 2015

Day 1

So today was my first meeting
Of the 90 in 90 days that I am doing
Well
Kind of
I woke early 
Collected my meds
Went for a walk with my Mum and dogs
Did the food shopping
And texted my friend Marie to see if she was still up for going to the meeting
She was
And I arranged to meet her at her house at 11 30am
I got home 
Had a quick cuppa 
And headed out
I deliberately kept busy in the morning
So I wouldn't have time to talk myself out of not going
I really wanted to go
And to say that is huge
That I actually want to go to a meeting 
For me
Not because I think it's what I should go
Not to appease my family
Not to meet other addicts
But for me
For my recovery
For my sanity
For my peace of mind
For my own crazy head

I arrived at Marie's on time
The meeting was about half an hour away
And we picked up another girl on the way
This was a bit of a big deal for me too
As meeting someone new is not something I do a lot of
But we had a great chat in the car on the way
And arrived just before 12 30pm
The time we thought the meetibg started
Just then we saw a member coming out of a shop
We rolled down the window and asked her what time the meeting was at
She said it was already over
That it had in fact started at 11am
This was pretty unusual
As meetings during the day usually start at 1pm
However it was over 
There was nothing we could do about it

We met up with another member
And decided to go for coffee
In the end
We had a lovely time 
Almost like our own little meeting
I wasn't going to count today as day 1
But my friends suggested that I do
As my intention was there
And we kind of did have a meeting
So I am going to count it
One down 
89 to go

There were times today 
When I felt really awkward
Like I had nothing worthwhile to say or contribute
Like I was a boring person with nothing interesting to say for myself 
Like I wasn't pretty enough
Thin enough
Good enough
I must make it clear that my friends didn't make me feel this way
Not at all
This all comes from my low self esteem
And non existent confidence 
But even though I had these feelings
I still did it
I left my house 
I tried to get to a meeting
I met new people
I tried my best to be myself
To get on with others
And you know what?
I really enjoyed it
I had a great time
I chatted
I listened 
I spoke a little bit
I was open
I laughed
It felt good to step outside my comfort zone
And do something new

I'm now back home
And I feel like I am on cloud nine
I feel positive
Hopeful
I feel pumped for these 90 days
I feel it's one of the best ideas I've had in a long time
I don't doubt that it will be hard 
But then nothing worth doing ever is
I owe it to myself and my family to give this a chance
I really feel like it is the right thing to do

I told Marie what I was planning on doing
She thought it was a great idea
And made the point that even if I don't  get to a meeting every single day
At least I will be on the right path
All it takes is everything I've got
I only have to change one thing
Everything

So tomorrow is Day 2
I am to go to a lunch time meeting locally
And am picking up Marie on the way
I've decided to use Em's suggestion
And mark off the days on a calendar
To keep track of my progress
I feel so excited to do this
So full of hope
I know it's the right thing to do
I can just feel it

12 comments:

  1. It may be hard, but you can do it, Ruby! Mega hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CP for your hugs
      And your continued support
      Love you x

      Delete
  2. Well done. I agree with Marie, if for any reason you can't make one or two sessions, keep going anyway. I admire your strength of character. I think there is so much to you that you don't even realise. em. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em
      For your support and kind words
      I am using your suggestion to keep a calendar of my days
      It helps keep me motivated
      Yes I am lucky to have a friend like Marie
      She is a star x

      Delete
  3. feel excited for you too,know you will do this.you sound really motivated lots love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it too Jo
      I really think I can do it this time
      Thank you so much for your comments and support
      It means so much x

      Delete
  4. sounds a good plan,do what you can ,b/w BB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really proud of you for giving this a shot, even if day one didn't go exactly as planned. I think it still definitely counts.
    I'm going to echo your friends and sister: Even if you don't make it to all 90, it's still an achievement, and still X more meetings than you'd have attended anyway. It's that all-or-nothing mindset. But each step is still an achievement, don't lose sight of that.

    Sending love and hugs <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella
      I am just going to do my best
      That is all I can
      Even considering to do this is progress

      I hope you are feeling better my dear? X

      Delete
  6. Good for you xxx Isn'tit funny how when we do something that we know is right for us, we feel so energised by it, so enthused and full of hope, and when we do something that we know deep down is unhealthy, we feel the total opposite, even when we try to tell ourselves otherwise? I'm thinking of when you write about your eating disorder, about the Boy, about drugs - there is never this sort of light shining from your words. Not that your writing isn't good at those times, but you can feel the undercurrents of sadness and hopelessness there. This is one of the loveliest posts I've read from you, and it's wonderful to know that you're making such good choices. Keep on keeping on :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Cheryl
      The past few weeks I felt like I was being so shady
      Ducking and diving all the time
      Lying
      Trying to hide my using
      It was a nightmare
      I do believe everything happens for a reason
      And maybe this relapse will be the thing that Spurs me on Never to go back there again
      I hope so
      And thank for your lovely words

      Much love x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x