Monday 9 February 2015

Meeting

I made plans with a friend to go to a meeting tomorrow
It's a lunch time meeting
And I know it's usually small and intimate
I can't lie 
I am really nervous to go 
But I really want to
I think it's an important step in my recovery
Recognising that I need help and support with my various addictions is imperative
I feel like I could relapse at any time
And even though my meds are more tightly regulated 
I still find the opportunity to misuse them
I am trying to stay clean and sober with very little help
And it is damn near impossible 
I feel like I am 'white knuckling' it
Hanging on by my fingertips
I need the support of other recovering addicts
I know that now

And as well as some much needed support
I will also benefit from the social aspect of going to meetings
I feel I am in a place where I am receptive to meeting new people and want to make new friends
It's so easy for me to isolate
To hide out here in my house
I need to get out in to the world
And find myself and my place in this thing we call life

It's now exactly one year since I left treatment
And boy it has been a roller coaster of a year
I am just happy to be in a better place
To be living life more than I have in years
I'm grateful to be surrounded by amazing people who have carried me this far 
My family has been my foundation
My bed rock
They have held through all of this
My Mum 
My Dad 
My sister
My brother and his partner
Honey and lea
You
Have all had an important and integral part in my recovery 
Like a jigsaw puzzle
They have all made up part of my life and recovery
It hasn't been easy
As I have said before
I have had to work so hard to get to the point where most people start of
To say it's been a struggle is an understatement

The last 15 years have taken their toll
I have squeezed more in to that 15 years than most have in a life time
I know I am lucky to be alive
And to have made it this far relatively unscathed
I don't have much to show for my life
No assets 
No money
No house
No partner or children
Some day I hope to have these things
I hope to have my own independent life
But for now
I have everything that I need
A roof over my head
Clothes on my back
Food in my fridge 
Two dogs at my feet
And my family and friends by my side
What more could a girl want?

I am a big believer in baby steps
As baby steps all add up to be huge strides
Everyday I don't use
And every day I don't starve or purge
Is a good day
It's a day that I 
Ruby
Take on my demons
And fight to survive

Don't get me wrong
Everything is not perfect
I still struggle to a person in this world
I struggle just be
And live in reality
I get bored
And frustrated 
And angry 
And sad
Sometimes I can't stand being in my own head
Or even my own skin 
I struggle to accept myself for who I am
I struggle not to actively hate myself
To believe in myself
To have faith that I can live life beyond my ED and addiction 
I struggle to have a healthy relationship with food
Everyday is a battle not yo starve
And not to purge
I struggle to make peace with my situation
To live life on life's terms
I struggle to want to live a lot of the time
And to ward off feelings of wanting to disappear
But despite all these battles
I am here
I am alive
And I am fighting for a better life
My tendency is to be negative
For my mind to go to dark and twisty places
My natural state of mind is to be maudlin
To feel low
I have to make an effort to be positive
And upbeat

But I have many blessings in my life
Today my life is the best it's been in a long time 
I no longer live under the shadow of depression and anxiety
I no longer feel like a burden to my family
I am in the road to recovery
I  am living proof that people like me can and do survive

So hopefully I will get to this meeting tomorrow
And take the first step in to helping myself stay clean and sober
For those of you who don't know
The meetings I am talking about are Alcoholics Anonymous
And Natcotics Anonymous 
The are support groups for people with alcohol and drug problems
They work off of a 12 step programme 
And from my own experience
They really do work

So today
If you are feeling low
And hopeless  
Tired and broken
Please remember that there is always hope
Hope for a better life
For a better future
I promise you it is possible to get well
To face your demons
And come out stronger
Please know that you are more capable than you ever knew
You have the ability 
And the courage
To make a better life for yourself
So please
Don't give up
Don't ever give up
You are too precious
To important
To be lost to this cruel illness
I know it's exhausting having to fight all the time
Mentally and physically draining
I know 
But please don't give up
We can and will get better
It is possible
I promise you that

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont know lilly but hope she is ok?hope you get to the meeting and i don't think you tend to be negative not in your blog anyhow,keep going,jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The A team is cheering, really cheering our hearts out....
    Just for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Ruby. I'm really proud of you for taking this step.
    Keeping you in my thoughts <3

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. just before i read this post:

    today, we had a talk about addiction. i thought of you.

    i'm proud of you. i always will be. i cannot seem to forget about the miracle you've pulled yourself out of, and how dark of a place you've been in and how you're just finding surface. it isn't something anyone could forget. it is so hopeful. you give me a lot of hope. don't throw that away for anything. this is precious.

    now, this post...let me read it...

    funnily enough, the guy that came to talk to us mentioned how helpful and how reliable it was for him to see people with the same situation as him with the same problems. it is so easy to misuse meds. it is so easy to take a bit more of a dose. it is so easy to do things with the promise that it won't really make a difference. just this one. or just tonight. or make a hundred different excuses.

    being an addictive personality myself and a laxative abuser - and at some moments of time, i try to consume antihistamines just for the drowsy effect (at some point misused them terribly so would go on 15+ hour sleep binges to avoid dealing with my emotional problems) - i can vaguely understand where you're coming from. if someone told me to drink less of my diet pepsi, i'd call them fucking insane. now, bring that up with something like misuse of therapeutics...and i don't think it's easy.

    i think it's hard. i think it's habitual. i think it's engrained by that point and it is more difficult not to than it is to. it is, however, not without consequence.

    things change. they do. a long while ago, you wouldn't have believed you'd be here, but congratulations - you are. you can do anything, Ruby. anything at all, and i do not doubt your capabilities. i do not doubt your pain and i do not doubt your strength.

    you will do this. i trust in that.

    and what is life for? if not consistent self-improvement.

    just a few days ago, if you told me that i'd do what i've done the past few days, i wouldn't believe you. a thing i've done just a few days ago is i started to up my intake, just to support my exercise. i would've never, ever, ever have done that on my own. someone told me to, they suggested it to me and i did.

    and they're right.


    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x