Saturday 20 September 2014

Story?

I was contacted by a journalist yesterday
She is interested in doing a story on me
She is a freelance journalist
So I don't know what publication it is yet
It's also a paid article
She rang me yesterday
And we spoke for some time
Part of me is really excited to do this
I want to share my story with as many people as possible
I want to show that there is life beyond an eating disorder
That it is possible to get out relatively unscathed
How ever I made it clear that things are not perfect
And I still have a lot of work to do
But part of me is also a bit wary
Putting myself out there like that sounds pretty scary
As she would use my real name
And she also asked for photos
l guess I need to be careful
Not to put myself in a vulnerable position

The journalist found me through this blog
After a few emails back and forth
I gave her my phone number
And she rang yesterday afternoon
She asked me a lot of questions
About both my ED and my drug addiction
She said she thought my story would resonate with readers
I know I need to be cautious here
And not give away too much of myself
But I still want to do it
I didn't talk about my family at all
Other than to say that they are very supportive
Which they are
She even asked me if I had pets
I told her about Honey and Lea
And she asked for some photos of them
I told her how when I was in hospital last year
Lea's fur started to fall out
And the vet could not find any medical explanation for it
It continued to fall out over the next few months
And then when I came home
And started to get well
Her fur started to grow back
I think that is really amazing
And I have no doubt that her fur fell out due to stress
And she began to recover when I did
It makes perfect sense

This is the second time that a journalist has contacted me to tell my story
If you remember a journalist from the Telegraph contacted me last year
When I was in treatment
That turned out well
The article was considered and well written
So I just hope this goes the same way

I was wondering about you
Have you ever been contacted through your blog to do something like this?
If you were me would you do the story?



11 comments:

  1. I can understand why you will do it. I also understand that you are not ashamed of anything - which is fine.but it is not about shame. It is about legal matters. So your story will be linked to your real name? The blog will be connected to your real name.the stealing will. Also you never know where your life may take you.future Employers&colleagues do not need to know anything.(heroin,people at work are not always your friends) you never never know what you may decide to do or be in the future!using your real name doesnt sound proffesional.also it seems you have no control where what is published.i find this very scary that you do not seem to have any control.please talk to your brother about publication rights and legal matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are saying Lilly
      And I have considered things
      But maybe not enough
      I have checked out the journalist
      And emailed her this morning to ask her some more questions
      To be honest I am unsure whether I will do it or not
      She has some information
      But I won't take it any further until I know for sure where this is going

      Thanks for your concern Lilly
      I know you are just looking out for me x

      Delete
  2. And please check out the journalists previous work to see where this is going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it'sa great way for you to show the other side of addiction and ED. And that, although it's a continuing battle, there's so much more to live for if you just keep on fighting.
    If your blog is mentioned, you might want to reconsider keeping the items about the stealing online. Not because I judge, but because somebody from your hometown or a shop might recognize you and treats you different. I hope you understand I mean well, it's hard to write...I seem to not find the right words and it sounds stupid.
    I just don't want you to be judged or treated wrong.

    (L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely don't want the whole stealing thing to come back to haunt me
      And I'm really not sure about using my real name
      I don't know A
      I am undecided about the whole thing
      It's not something I know a lot about
      So I will talk to my brother
      As he is a writer x

      Delete
  4. O, I did not read Lily's comments till mine was published and I completely and totally agree with her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sry for spam'ming babe! you know what? you are a writer hun. get your story out there. on your own terms. your writing is fabulous. you have your own voice, use it! (and your brothers contacts ;))

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Lilly
      I will have a think about it
      And have a chat to my brother
      I might email you later on to tell you about it

      Thanks for your concern x

      Delete
  6. And maybe, it's worthwhile thinking if you yourself would want to write a book or an autobiography. I think you should, and you could.
    And then, you might not want this journalist to have all the 'glory of your story'.
    But, I also think it's a great honour and one way or another, your story, your battle is worthwhile sharing. It can and will inspire lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just spoke to my brother A
      And he suggested that I take control of my own writing
      And send some pieces in to publications that I would like to be in
      Like mental health magazines etc

      Thank you for your kind words my lovely x

      Delete
  7. Me, personally, I would jump all over the opportunity. I have always known that I want to help others by telling my story.
    On that note, I was contacted about a year and half ago by a producer from the Dr. Oz show. She found my blog and wanted to do a story on me about my BDD and other issues. We emailed a couple times back and forth, she even called me. But then she never got back to me. I was pretty disappointed actually.
    Whatever you chose to do, do it on your terms. =)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x