Thursday 11 September 2014

9/11

Today is the 13th anniversary of 9/11
I only realized when the date showed up on the tv this morning
I remember  that day
But for all the wrong reasons
Back then I was in active addiction
That morning I made my way to Dublin to go and get drugs
I was listening to music on the way
So I missed any early reports on the radio
When I arrived in  Dublin
I walked over to the North side of the city to my my dealer
A hardened addict who was just out of prison
It never occurred to me to ask him why he was in prison
It's just didn't seem important at the time

The house was a three story red brick home
It looked ok from the outside
But inside it was a wreck
It looked like an ab abandoned house
But this guy lived there with his brothers and sisters
We went in to the bedroom
And shot up
There is no pretty way to say that
He needed to go across to the other side of the city
So we jumped in his car and headed over
I remember he gave me a bundle of money to count
It was at this point that I heard something on the radio about a plane crashing
I paid little attention to it
When you are addicted your life  centers around the drug
And again it didn't seem important
That guy as since died from AIDS

It wasn't until I got home that evening that I heard the full story
But it wasn't until years later when I got clean
That I realized the full devastation of what happened
That this would be a day that history would never forget
That so many people's lives were effected
That it would change world events irrevocably

Today I am lighting a candle for the 2796 people that were killed that day




Do you remember where you were when 9/11 happened?

16 comments:

  1. i was at boarding school and my parents were still alive, and they wanted me to go home. I did not want to go and stayed. A girl from saudi was taken out of school, because a teacher said a very horrible thing to her. She cried and said how much she hated what happened. Suddenly all the muslim people were treated differently, not open, blatant but rather hypocritical. i thought these were crazy terrorists who did and atrocious thing and never connected it to my muslim friends, but then gradually the world changed. In a way these terrorists succeeded in spreading hate for decades in all sorts of directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Lilly
      So many needless deaths
      Most of the soldiers fighting in Afghanistan were probably little children when 9/11 happened x

      Delete
    2. We were all kids.i hate how much it unconciously (mostly) defined us xxxxx

      Delete
    3. I know Lilly
      It seems it effected so many people in so many ways x

      Delete
  2. I was two when it happened, and I didn't know anything about it until a few years ago, when I read about it in one of my novels. It just seems like a very horrible thing to me. I don't really know what to say about this.

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh you were only 2
      I forget how young you are Christie
      It breaks my heart that you are trying so hard to lose weight
      Please don't waste your time on such a futile exercise x

      Delete
  3. I was living in Denmark. I had just quit my job and was moving back to Sweden, breaking up with my then-boyfriend, so I was not in a happy place. And then they interrupted my soap opera to show the news. I couldn't believe it was real. And when I understood that it wasn't a horrible accident but deliberate, I instantly knew that the world would never be the same again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really changed the world CP
      Beyond recognition x

      Delete
  4. It makes sense that you wouldn't remember it for those other reasons. What happened to you on 9/11 was a big deal for you and you shouldn't diminish that memory.
    I was in class in third grade when it happened. i don't remember much actually because I wasn't personally affected and my school didn't close down or anything. I just remember being very confused. It's a very sad day though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was boarding a plane in Florida to return home when it happened. We were stuck in the airport watching it all go down (literally). My then-husband worked on Wall Street and was on his way to the towers. His phone was out so family and friends were calling me to check in on him. They had no idea that we had filed for divorce and were living apart. It was awkward.

    I lost friends in the attack. The day is still unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God that is so sad JJ
      I hope you can remember your friends today
      And cherish the memories you had with them

      My thoughts are with you today x

      Delete
  6. I would've been 8. I think it was just before I had to change schools for the first time. I remember I had an old TV in my room, and at this point mum would usually just turn on morning cartoons to wake me. I kept flipping through channels trying to find Pokemon, but every station had news. It's silly, I know, but my 9/11 memory is missing out on Pokemon.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange the things we remember
      You were 8
      And that was important to you
      It's only years later that we see the truth x

      Delete
  7. I was in high school. The planes hit before school started, but I was at school when the towers collapsed. I remember the news being on at school and watching the same footage over and over because they kept replaying it. Everyone at school was scared and convinced something terrible was going to happen to us.. even though I don't live in any sort of major city. Somehow that fact gets lost when you're stuck at school watching the news all day. I think they let people go home if their parents wanted them to, but I stayed all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been terrifying for people living in the US
      I can't imagine it
      Especially for children
      What city do you live in? x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x