Wednesday 30 April 2014

2 Years Old!

Today is the 30th of April
My blog is exactly 2 years old today
And what a rollercoaster those two years have been
I checked back on my first few posts to see where my head was at back then
I wrote about doing fasts
Wanting to lose weight
Some could say that it was verging on pro ana

I had been reading blogs for a while before I started my own
I was lonely
I craved to be around others like me
And I found a whole community of people who thought and felt just like me
At first I really wanted to fit in
I wanted to belong
So I wrote about wanting to lose weight and weight loss methods
But the one thing that I have never felt comfortable doing is encouraging others to lose weight or congratulating someone on losing weight
It just didn't sit right with me

My writing has gradually changed over time
Until I found a style that I was comfortable with
It's pretty matter of fact and honest
No sugar coating things
I want to tell the truth about what it's really like to live with an eating disorder
It's not pretty
It's not romantic
It's not even about food anymore
It's bigger than that
Living with an eating disorder and addiction is soul destroying
It wears you down
Drains you of any positivity or energy that you once had
And it  doesn't just effect me
Like ripples in a pond it effects everyone around me
Not only did I get sick
But my whole family got sick too
That's the sad reality

Living with an eating disorder is like dancing with the Devil
It lures you in with false promises of happiness, popularity and success
It whispers in your ear
That you are fat
Worthless
A failure
It convinces you that if you listen to it then everything will be ok
If you lose weight all your problems will be solved
It's as simple as that

Of course now I know that this is all lies
My eating disorder wants me dead
I have no doubt about that
But even with all this knowledge and awareness
Even knowing what I need to do to help myself
I keep going back to my ed again and again
Why?
Because it's all I know
Because it's familiar
Because I know no other way
Because I think that this time will be different
This time I won't let it spin out of control

They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
I have been doing the same thing for over a decade now and my ed still tricks me in to thinking that this time will be different
She is so sneaky
So cunning
So manipulative and seductive
And I get sucked in every time

So two years on has anything changed?
Well, I'm a little older
A little wiser (debatable)
My anxiety has definitely got worse
I've lost about 25 pounds
If anything I would say that I am no nearer to recovery
Essentially I am stuck
Stuck in the binge purge cycle
Stuck in my house
Stuck in life

Those 2 years have absolutely flown by
It's scary how fast time goes by
It's scary how nothing changes if nothing changes
I don't let myself think about the future
It's too overwhelming to think about
All I can do is try to do my best today
Keep fighting
Keep writing
Keep hoping

Of course the best thing about writing this blog is the amazing friends that I have made
I won't name you all
You know who you are
And after my last post I've met a whole host of new friends
You all have been so supportive over the last 2 years
Thanks you for that
Thank you for being there
For reading and commenting
And for never giving up on me even when I did
Happy Birthday to my blog!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Ruby's blog!! Your REALNESS is so rare. You lay the nitty gritty out on the table for all of us to observe. It's chilling, it's beautiful, and it's inspiring. Thank you. Sorry I have been away. My depression moslty kept me catatonic....hopefully I am back??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vanessa, welcome back!

      Sorry to read that you have been struggling
      I truly hope that things begin to turn around for you
      Going to check out your blog soon

      I hope you're back too! x

      Delete
  2. Happy blogiversary! Heh, I share a birthday with your blog :P

    You're right, it's scary how time flies. I've been reading your blog from the start and I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to get to know you. I can't believe it's been two years! Mine's on May 28th, though I'd been reading blogs for nearly two years already.

    Lots of love to you sweets. I will drop you a quick email with my postal address <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bella, that's so cool!

      Where have those two years gone?
      They went by so so fast

      Yes do email me your address, really want to send you a little something

      Love love love x

      Delete
  3. Wow, time flies!

    Congratulations on surviving these past two years <3

    Love you so much Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x