Tuesday 25 December 2012

Bulimic's dream / Anorectic's nightmare

So I survived Christmas day
Just about
How about you?
I came the whole way to Sydney to experience Christmas in the sun bit in honour of me it rained all day
Oh well at least I felt at home
Jet lag still has me feeling like I'm high
Is it wrong that I love that feeling?
I was pretty anxious about the day as my sisters partners family were coming for dinner and I'd never met them before
I didn't want to be falling asleep in my dinner so I didn't take my meds until after they had left
My sister, her partner Jen, my mother and I all pitched in to put a traditional Christmas dinner together
Roast turkey, ham and all the trimmings
Jen's parents and her gran arrived for dinner at 2pm
It was a bulimic's dream and an anorectic's nightmare
I couldn't decide between the two
We all got to know each other over canapes
I spoke to avoid eating
Then came a round of oysters
Under a bit of pressure from my sister I downed one
Through gritted teeth I said 'mmmm' and tried not to throw up
Then it was time for the main event
There were literally mountains of food
Turkey
Ham
Prawns
Potatoes
Veg
Salad
Gravy
And more



My sister


I took the smallest plate so my meagre portion wouldn't stand out
My plan was to eat just a little so I wouldn't feel the urge to purge
But even with eating so little, I felt incredibly uncomfortable
I was the first one finished and I waited until people were deep in conversation and then excused myself to 'have a cigarette'
The tiny bathroom was right beside the kitchen with only a plaster wall separating it
I took a gamble and decided to purge
I am quick and quiet so I figured I'd get away with it
I only hope that the toilet would flush it all down
I pressed the flush and prayed
Yes, thank God it's gone
I tidied myself up
Washed the vomit off my face
Tried to stop my eyes watering and sat back down at the table

Then dessert
Not one but two desserts
Fruit pavlova and Christmas pudding with brandy cream






I opted for a small piece of pavlova thinking I could manage to keep it down
But no
Oh no
Again bulimia reared her ugly head and demanded attention
I excused myself for a second time
I was confident I would get away with it
Big mistake Ruby
I forgot that cream or ice cream doesn't flush well
After I flushed it all rose to the top if the water and floated there like white rose petals
I flushed once, twice, three times but they were still there
I couldn't risk flushing again without drawing attention to myself
So I covered the water with toilet paper and hoped the next person wouldn't notice
I sat back down at the table praying no one would cotton on to my antics
I couldn't concentrate on the conversation
All I could think about were those white petals that could give me away
How embarrassing would it be for my potential in laws to find out that I'm a raging bulimic the first time we meet
I couldn't stand it any longer and I again excused myself to the bathroom
I flushed again
Rose petals still there
There was only one thing for it
I had to fish them out by hand
I plunged my hand in to the toilet water and tried to scoop them out
It took a while but I managed to get them all
Relief
At least now I wouldn't be found out
At worst they probably think I 'm a little bit strange
Who ever said eating disorders were glamorous, come walk a day in my shoes
This is the ugly face of bulimia
It's scary
It's messy
It's disgusting
It's what I live every single day
While everyone else was enjoying Christmas dinner, I was fishing the contents of my stomach out of a toilet bowl
And the sick thing is that for me that is normal
It's part and parcel of a bulimic's day
Just another day at the office
The minute the guests left I downed 2 days of meds and slept for the rest of the day
If I'm not careful I'll have all my meds gone by week two

Other snap shots of Christmas day










18 comments:

  1. Happy holidays Ruby dearest. You look stunning.

    It might've been a hard day for us, but at least we've come through the other side of it (partially) intact.

    Take care of yourself sweetie. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Bella

      I don't know about stunning but I made an effort more than I usually would

      You are right, we made it through relatively unscathed

      Take care of you too x

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas dear Ruby! The important thing is that we got through it somehow, it may have been a little messy but it's done! Wishing you all the best, you are an absolute vision! Love you always, take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling Rayya

      Very true, we got through it as best we could

      I hope your Christmas went well and here's to an amazing 2013

      Take care of you too x

      Delete
  3. Reading this makes me so sad, you know you deserve better, right?

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I did know that Avy, sometimes I feel like this is just the way things are going to be x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas. You look beautiful and you have a lovely family.

    Everything looks so festive. I hope you were able to enjoy that part of the day. Sending you warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JJ

      I did manage to enjoy part of the day although I was asleep in bed by 9pm, yes I'm a lightweight x

      Delete
  6. Lol I got sunburned, ate too much chocolate, lay on the floor a lot because I've gotten a bad cold from not sleeping and disturbed the hell out of Kay's mum-in-law while making friends with a fluffy rabbit, a kitten and kay's brother-in-law. Sigh.

    *Hugs* Maybe by next christmas you'll have a bigger list of things you're comfortable with eating and keeping so you don't have a rinse-repeat?

    Fuck your description of the walls make me glad I haven't started puking yet. Everyone in the whole building would be able to hear me! My loo is over one kitchen and next to another, with thin borer-riddled wooden walls. We can hear eachother talking, it's that bad.

    I hope the rest of your holiday goes well. Take care of yourself, ok? Love you to bits <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peri

      Yes hopefully next Christmas won't be spent worrying about people hearing me throw up

      Enjoy the rest of your Christmas

      Love you too x

      Delete
  7. Merry christmas!

    Hopefully you'll be more fortunate in hiding the evidence next time.

    Enjoy the rest of the holidays! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christina

    Happy Christmas to you too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think you look beautiful in these pictures! so glad christmas is done for another 363 days, it really is the most stressful day in the year
    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie

      Yes, am so glad it is over for another year

      Take care of you too x

      Delete
  10. I too spent Christmas purging/worrying that I would get caught. I'm so sorry, I hate bulimia. I hate it because it ruined your Christmas. I hope the rest of the day was good though. Merry (late) Christmas!

    I have a new blog up now, since I had to delete my old one.
    http://herheartwasasecretgarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely and so nice to hear from you, I was wondering how you were

      I'm sorry your Christmas was also stressful but we got through it and that is the main thing

      I'm going to check out your blog now

      Love to you my dear and keep in touch x

      Delete
  11. Ugh, definitely been there with the fishing out of the toilet thing. It's so gross but the alternative is so much worse...
    I hope the purging didn't ruin your Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is gross Emily but it had to be done x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x