Friday 5 October 2012

Numerical Roulette!

I saw my friend again
After cancelling on her a couple of times I finally called in to her yesterday
She also has an eating disorder and a drug and alcohol history
She sees Mary too
We're both in a pretty similar situation recovery wise
We've both put on weight recently
Not enough to reach a healthy body weight but enough that we don't look ill anymore
She told me how someone had commented to her that she had 'filled out'
As you can imagine this crushed her
I don't know on what universe people think it's ok to comment on someone's weight, good or bad
I never pass comment as you just don't know how someone is going to take it
I know comment about my own weight have sent me spinning into relapse
My friend is the only person I tell my weight to and she tells me hers
She is a few inches shorter than me and a few pounds lighter
Even though that means we're probably the same weight I still thought that she looked a lot thinner than me
She said she felt huge and didn't like to leave the house anymore
I can relate to this
In my head I am so big that it is embarrassing
I feel fat therefore I am fat
I didn't see Mary this week so I have no ides what my weight is and I'm not going to play numerical roulette and  weigh myself
Those little numbers still have too much power over me
They dictate my mood, my self esteem and my self worth
If the number is up I spiral in to a black hole of depression
If it's down I sky rocket in to euphoria
That's not good
People say to me  that the scale doesn't tell you what a good person you are or how pretty or talented or how giving or loving you are
I hate that those numbers have such power over me but they do
My mind is consumed with food, weight and numbers
Numbers on the scale, numbers on my stepper, calories, measurements........
For the first few years of my illness it wasn't about numbers
I was oblivious to what weight I was and never weighed myself, never even wanted to
All I knew was that not eating made me feel good
I had no idea that I was barely 80lbs
It wasn't until I was admitted to hospital that numbers became important
They weighed me every second day and it seemed to be very important so I started taking notice of what I weighed
Then in treatment we were weighed 3 times a week
Suddenly the number became crucial
I had a spectrum of safe weights and if I went above this I completely panicked
They say it's not about weight but it is for me
Reaching a healthy weight is still terrifying
My friend and I were talking about how people presume we are well because we have put on weight
Another myth about eating disorders, that you have to be emaciated to have one
I was just as sick at my lowest weight as I was at my highest weight
It's a mental illness with physical side effects
I'm glad I went to see my friend though
Just to get the identification was great

We were talking about how great Mary is
Not just with the food stuff but with life stuff
In fact food is nearly always the last thing we talk about
I have seen my fair share of therapists and counsellors over the years
Ranging from the weird to the wonderful
When I first moved here I was looking for a counsellor
A friend put me in touch with a man who ran a half way house for male addicts
He was a former addict himself
So I started seeing this man on a weekly basis
At first things were fine
He was very informal and let me smoke in his office
Some of his theories were a bit left field but I just thought he must know what he's talking about seeing as he runs this centre and had set up others
But then things took a strange turn
He wouldn't ring my methadone doctor and said 'why should I go running to her, she can ring me herself'
Ok
When I tried to talk to him about food he said 'well that's fine, no one wants to be fat'
That was my first inkling that things weren't right
As the weeks went on he became less interested in my addiction
All he wanted to know about was 'had I been out at the weekend'
He frequently asked me if I had a boyfriend or had I been with any boys
I started to feel uncomfortable seeing him and started to skip sessions
His questions were becoming more and more inappropriate and I didn't like it
I remember I was keeping a diary at the time and wrote about him in that
Eventually things just got too weird
I felt like he was coming on to me and I didn't fee comfortable being alone with him so I stopped going to see him
Months later I told my friend why I had stopped going
He replied by telling me that this man was now being investigated by the probation board
It turned out he was up to all kinds of no good
In fact I had got off lightly
Eventually I had to give a statement of what had happened
I did have a gut instinct about this man from the beginning but I didn't listen to it
Yes, it could've been a lot worse but the fact that he preyed on me when I was vulnerable shook my confidence in seeking out a new counsellor
The man said my statement was bullshit but I was believed and he lost his job
He did untold damage and all the while hiding behind the guise that he was helping addicts
What a cowardly and despicable man
I'm always afraid that I will run in to him somewhere but I'd say he has left the area
From then on I've seen women counsellors as I just don't feel comfortable with a man
I hope that man never works again



19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have a friend you can relate to. It must be comforting to be able to have a cuppa with someone in a similar situation.

    I'm the same... It was never about weight, until I was told I was sick. Because I didn't know I was sick, until I'd lost over 20kg, and my mum asked me if she thought I was anorexic. I knew what it was, and had previously recovered from a purge-type ED at 15, but I still didn't know anything was wrong. Then it clicked, that I barely ate, and I weighed myself and was a little over 50kg (at 6'1"). Then I weighed myself every day for two years, until I broke my scale addiction in February. Sometimes I break down and weigh myself multiple times a day, and lose my mind within the week. But I'm much happier not looking at the scale, even though I know if I've lost/gained this week, and roughly how much I weigh in comparison to when I started seeing my dietician. I haven't weighed myself (you know, 'properly') since mid-June. I'm very obsessive with the numbers in what I eat - everything is weighed to 0.1g, and I'm constantly checking all my macro & micronutrients as the day passes. For me it is really more about eating and food, but obviously my weight plays a big part too (I haven't had dysmorphia since my weight restoration, when I started to lose weight again - I know what my weight looks like, but I like it). I think my anorexia just keeps shifting and changing, in so many ways.

    You know, your blog is amazingly therapeutic for me. I think you just make such thought provoking and insightful posts, it really gets me thinking 'why?'

    Love you, hope you're okay xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you Bella for such kind words

      I can relate, I used to weigh multiple times a day but I had to stop as it was ruining my day and my life
      I also didn't care about weight and numbers until I went in to hospital, then it became obsessive

      Love you too dear Bella x

      Delete
  2. your such a brave person, you have been through so much, but you never give up!

    love love love

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to you too Loulou, I hope you are ok, don't hesitate to contact me if you ever need support,
      I'm always here for you x

      Delete
  3. I don't like to comment on people's weight unless I'm specifically asked by the person, and even then I'm twitchy. I find it really disgusting that people are COMPLIMENTED for being walking skeletons. No, just fucking NO. It's so utterly wrong.

    "Sticks and stones me break bones but words can make them kill themselves"

    Good idea to stay away from the scales. Lol next month you'll have a new set of numbers (Word counts, daily goals, 1667) to worry about! I hope they manage to push the less productive numbers out a bit.

    Fat is not a feeling, it's a method of energy storage! (Of course we can know that intellectually but getting the feels to accept it is another story altogether)

    Bloody hell, what a creep! I'm glad you managed to avoid his most weird stuff, and I'm hoping he NEVER EVER EVER works in that field or any related ones again. Fucking hell, he should be locked up!

    I hope you have a good weekend. Look after yourself, ok? Much love from the Land of the Long White Cloud <3

    *Huggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Peri, fat is not a feeling it's a process

      I also hope that sorry excuse of a man never works again, he did so much damage and all the while hiding behind the fact that he was helping addicts.

      Love all the way from the little green island x

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, it's so uplifting to read such broken but beautiful and honest words.
    Seriously thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comments on weight no matter how well intended can really cause unspeakable damage, people should really think twice before they say such things.

    Well done for being so brave and trusting your gut and stopping sessions with him!

    You are beautiful, remember that.

    Love you always x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rayya and I agree, it's never ok to pass comment on someone's weight, good or bad

    Love you too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wht a bad situation with that man! I'd be freaked out as well! But it's good that nothing worse happened.
    Numbers affect all of us. But you have to keep trying to think that your health is more important. Even if you feel you're not worth it. You are. I don't know you so I don't know why, but I know someone truly cares about you. Keep trying and if you need anything, let me know.
    gegenmia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy that you got away from that man. Those kind are the worst and the damage they do is a killer. I have had both women who have been walking all over me and not respecting me at all... no way I'd try find a new counselor in near future (well, I'm on the other side of the globe from my home so no way getting it here).

    But it's good you got a god one now. And a friend who can totally understand your feelings. At least for me that's the biggest help at hand, better than any counselor I've been seeing.
    And those numbers, they do have a magical effect once you discover them... but you're beautiful and strong, so keep on pushing.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tatyana, I hope you find a good counsellor
      I don't like the power numbers have over me but I'm trying hard not to let them x

      Delete
  9. I once told my ed nurse when i was part of the ed service that i was a linguist but felt more like mathematician, so much of my day is tallying lists of calories comsumed, miles walked put into google maps, looking at numbers, multiplying or dividing by 100g to get packet kcal total, and on and on and on and on

    what good does it serve sometimes i think id eat less if i didnt kno the content because id overestimate but not knowing isnt an option. ive done this for more than a decade. ud think id have got to my goal by now but no, thats y i get so furiously angry at myself

    sorry i put off posting a comment because im being so negative and i dnt want to make u feel worse but i love u and i am reading everything xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.s when i saw man nurse (male cpn, major dislike) when he first weighed me he said "oh, you are MUCH heavier than you look"
    You can imagine how well i took that... its because he thought my bmi was anorexic bt it was 19 but still. grrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always lovely to hear from you Nina and you're not negative at all, your just saying it as it is, the truth

    I too am obsessed with numbers, I wish I could go back to when they didn't mean a thing to me. It's actually since I went to treatment that they started to become so important.

    Thank was totally insensitive of that male nurse, what an asshole

    I love you too, always x

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S.

    Since we're both crackers you're allowed to be cheesy at times :) If I may add some more, I'd like to say that you're frankly amazing and I am honoured to have been able to talk to you and read your words and call you friend. I wish I could show you how strong you are and how brightly you shine.

    The NaNo site has been relaunched, go sign up and have a nose around the FAQ and register yourself for the 2012 event and ADD ME AS A WRITING BUDDYYYYYYYYY (Vienn) and yes you can do a memoir, you can write ANYTHING. You could do 50,000 words of limericks about caterpillars if you felt so inclined XD

    Key for NaNo is to NOT WORRY ABOUT GETTING IT PERFECT. It's quantity, not quality. You're writing a first draft! You've only got 30 days to write it in and all the time in the world afterwards in which to edit it into obedience.

    Yes, yes DO IT. DOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIT. You can't start writing until Novermber 1st. I'm going to a halloween party on the 31st of October but coming home early so I can start writing at midnight. The party is at Spanderholic's so I could take my laptop and we could start writing there XD She writes crackfic for nano.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crackfic
    50k words of random as fuck fanfiction. Last year she got 1,000 words of padding out of BACKGROUND MUSIC. I'm not bloody kidding, either!

    The idea I had for next year may not go ahead, since it's romance and I hate fluff and romance. Last year's romantic scene-writing fiasco involved some jager and lots of cute spirk music videos.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spirk

    Enough urbandictionary! Sending you much love and many writing muses from Down Under.

    Arohanui <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I'm definitely going to check it out today
    I'm just gonna give it a good go and see how I get on
    Nothing to lose, right?

    Love you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x