Wednesday 29 August 2012

Treatment 101

I've been in touch with some friends from treatment
A group of them meet up in Dublin every couple of months
Not just the eating disorder girls, but anyone who wants to go so there are people with depression, anxiety and other mental illness
I went to the group once a few months ago
They are meeting up in September so I hope to go
I've also been in touch with a girl who I met the first time I was in treatment
We were glued at the hip
It got me thinking about that time so I thought I would share it with you

It was 2008 and I was 25
I was in the midst of a very dark anorexic episode
I was working in a pizzeria (where else), although I don't know how as I was very unwell
I was also an exercise addict
I had bought a stepper and used to park it in front of the television and stay there for hours
I lived off chocolate and nothing else, burning off the calories before I ate anything
I weighed religiously every morning and was losing weight rapidly
One morning I felt so ill I thought I was going to die so my mother talked me in to going to A&E
I was too weak to resist so I agreed to go
We sat in the waiting room for hours until I was finally seen
Immediately I was put on a drip and told that I was going to admitted
I was given a bed that night and a nurse weighed me
Afterwards I overheared 2 nurses talking
'Oh my God, she only weighs 35 kilos'
I was glad they were shocked, that meant I really was anorexic
It's a sad truth that I spend more time worrying about whether I don't have an eating disorder than if I do have an eating disorder
I was put on a high observation ward
I then found out that a girl had recently died from anorexia in the hospital so that was why they were taking my case seriously
I saw the dietician who put me on a high calorie diet
They also had a care assistant sit with all day every day
She even had to accompany me to the bathroom and shower
Of course I still managed to hide food and lose weight
I was waiting for a place in treatment to come up so after 2 weeks in hospital they transferred me to the local psychiatric hospital to wait for my place

St. Columbas was a different kettle of fish
I was in with people who were very ill
Depression, personality disorders, schizophrenia and many more
One girl was admitted after she had gone to the bank ant tried to withdraw a million pounds under the name
Angelina Jolie
She really believed she was a famous actress
She had a boyfriend who visited her everday, he was also very unwell
He turned up one day dressed in a tuxedo, got down on one knee and proposed to her
How romantic
They tried to make me eat but I was annoyingly stubborn
They made me stay in my room for an hour after eating
I purged in a plastic bag and stored it in my wardrobe
After 2 weeks my place in treatment came up
The day I left I remember the nurse saying to my parents that I had been one step ahead of them the whole time

Treatment was a psychiatric hospital in Dublin that had an eating disorder programme
I had no idea what to expect and was incredibly worried that I would be the fattest anorexic they had ever seen
One the first day I remember seeing everyone queuing up to get their meds
Being and addict, I was jealous and so decided I wanted meds too
I told the nurse I couldn't sleep so they put me on zimovaine
After a few weeks they put me an anti depressant and an anti anxiety med
I was so drugged up that every time I sat down I fell asleep
The programme was full on
Groups all day including goals, body image, art therapy and meal planning
Not to mention groups after every meal
We were weighed every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and had a goal weight to meet
If you missed your goal twice in a row, you were put on bedrest
Needless to say I spent a lot of time on bedrest
I remember being down in the coffee shop one day with someone, the adolescent ward were also there
One girl in particular caught my eye
She was very thin, pale and had a haunted look in her eyes
It was quite shocking to look at her
All of sudden it occurred to me 'Is that what my family see when they look at me?'
This thought made me feel so sad
I saw the same girl again about 2 months later
I was delighted to see that she had put on some weight and looked so much better
I hoped she'd be ok
My heart wasn't really in treatment
I played along and went through the motions but I had no intention of getting well
I still purged and lied about it
I abused my meds
The good thing about treatment was the other girls
We bonded quickly and they were some of the most beautiful, warm, giving, loving, talented people I have ever met
We were an unwavering support for each other and genuinely wanted each other to get well
Other times in treatment I did feel a sense of competition with the other girls, to be the 'best anorexic' or the 'sickest anorexic' but not this time
I was especially close to 2 girls called Theresa and Karina
We became firm friends fast
On a Thursday we used to go to the supermarket to get ingredients for our meal on Friday
This particular Thursday myself, Karina and Theresa went over
Karina received a phonecall and became very upset
After she hung up she told us that 2 people had been murdered in her village
She didn't know who it was and feared it could have been her family
We were shocked and tried to comfort her
Karina tried to get in touch with family but couldn't get through
We rushed back to the hospital and by now Karina was terrified
We looked up teletext and it was there it was confirmed that it was in fact Karina's family
Her father and brother had been murdered
The doctor and nurses brought Karina in to the t.v room and her sister arrived who had been a patient in another hospital in the city
I can still hear their screams
We were all numb with shock, couldn't believe it
We didn't know what to do so we walked hand in hand over to the chapel to say prayers
Krarina and her sister left to go home
Then they had us go to a group with a bereavement counsellor
I remember not being able to take anymore so I feel asleep
Things were not the same after that and I struggled to get back in to the swing of treatment
I started to lose weight again and was eventually discharged for failing to gain weight

Once home I fell in to a deep depression
I had been in the bubble of treatment for the previous 6 months and now I was home with little support and I didn't know what to do
I went to see my psychiatrist and I wanted to be admitted to hospital again
He wouldn't hear of it and told me I had to learn to cope at home
I got so angry with him and couldn't hide it
He asked me which part of food I was struggling with
'The eating part' I spat at him
I remember telling him I was going to throw myself under the nearest car
He upped my anti anxiety meds and told me he'd see me in a month
I couldn't pull myself out the hole I was in and started to abuse my meds and drink
Everyday I drank vodka and popped pills until I passed out
I was trying to restrict but the meds gave me a savage appetite and so I binged and purged
I started to gain weight and it was driving me insane
I couldn't stop eating and I had no idea how to stop
I went to New York that summer and when I saw the photos I cried
I reached an all time high weight of 60 kilos and although I was not technically over weight, it did not look well on my small frame
I stayed this way for the next 2 years until one day I ran in to a friend I hadn't seen in a while
She remarked that I had lost weight
I rushed home to weigh myself and was delighted to see I has indeed lost 10 lbs
This triggered my next anorexic episode
I stopped taking my meds and went back to restricting and exercise

I have been in treatment 3 times since then but I'll tell you about that another time

I was wondering about you
Have you been in treatment?
Was it a positive or negative experience?
If you haven't been to treatment would you consider it?

14 comments:

  1. I was inpatient on an Eating Disorders Unit in Melbourne last March-April. I don't have a single positive thing to say about it, but I don't expect anyone would on an Involuntary Treatment Order. Everything about it was horrible. And the worst part is that they're only there to restore weight and medical stability - there is no psychiatric support available. Since I wriggled my way out before hitting my goal weight (I asked for a transfer, eventually got it, but never checked in to the Clinic), I've done everything I can to avoid going back there. Everything was really wrong there.

    I also had two admissions to an adolescent psychatric unit when I was 14 & 15-16, and a few short admissions to the local Clinic between 16-18 - all voluntary. They were for varying degrees of depression, anxiety, suicidal behaviors, self harm, PTSD... The whole gang.

    I'm making 2012 my year without hospital (I've been admitted at least once a year since I was 14), and I've made it further through the year than I have before. To be honest, I hadn't even made it to May without an admission in the last 5 years. But I haven't even been to Emergency this year, so it's lpoking good!

    Love you missy, and I always love reading your stories. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bella, you've been through so much for someone so young,
    I sincerely hope 2012 is a hospital free year for you,
    You deserve some peace of mind,
    I'm sure you hate hearing this but you are young and too talented to give up everything for anorexia,
    Stay strong,

    Love you too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this was hard to read. I do like reading your stories and you have so many! I've never been in treatment myself, my weight never dipped low enough so I've always 'slipped under the net.'

    My all time highest weight is 4 kilos more than yours, and yes, it didn't sit well on my frame. I look fairly bad at 60!

    I don't know if I could face treatment or whether I'd want to. I'd feel something was being taken away from me...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aggy,

    Unfortunately being a drug addict aswell means I have my fair share of treatment, they were mostly positive experiences but I did have a couple of negative ones too,

    Hope you're well x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruby, I'll get to processing and replying to this post sometime today...

    I wanted to thank you for your kind words and let you know that you could run too! I know you mentioned that you smoke, but I know that it can actually prove to be a helpful tool in smoking cessation (I guess because you can focus that energy of craving somewhere else/get out stress)... you just have to start small, and of course you know your body would thank you. Just a little tidbit of encouragement for you!

    By the way, if you'd like to be Facebook friends, I'd love that... you can find me here: http://www.facebook.com/sarah.a.shoemaker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, I really would love to start jogging or running soon.
    Have you been running for long?

    I don't use FB all that much but yes, I'd love to be friends.

    Love to you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a story that doesn't always happen in real life. Like when they say a movie is "based on a true story", yours sounds like what something could be based on. I can't even imagine what sort of a time that was.

    But I want you to realize that you are here. You could have starved, drank, or popped pills til death. But you are here. Right now. Though you still struggle, you're here sharing your stories and giving words of love and support to this community. This past summer you've traveled and had experiences that you're going to remember for life. Reading your blog hasn't just been something to do in my spare time, it's something I look forward to. I seriously hope you continue towards the better days and be as lovely and encouraging as you are. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    <3 <3 <3 Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awh, thanks Lilli for such kind words, you are a sweetie!

    You're so right, I am lucky to be here and for that I am grateful,
    If I could help just one person with my story then that would make me so, so happy,
    Writing helps me so I hope it helps others too,

    Love ya Lilli x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this. It must have taken incredible courage to relive it through words.

    I have no words, I want to hug you and go back in time and hug you then too. You are an amazing, strong, wonderful person and I'm so glad you have survived. You're tough as nails, did you know that? You've gone through (and are still going through) hell the likes of which few can imagine in their darkest dreams and yet you are still able to care about others. That is amazing. YOU are amazing. Never forget that.

    I've never been in treatment. I've controlled my behaviours because being in treatment=Mum and Dad being in control of me again. I'm never EVER giving them a chance to control me ever again. I fought too long and too hard to escape them to go back to that. I'd die first.

    I hope you have a good day today. All my love and many hugs from The Land of Sheep *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely Peri,

      I don't think I would go back to treatment either, unless things got really bad which hopefully they won't

      Thank you for a lovely comment,

      YOU also are amazing,

      Lots of love from the land of saints and scholars x

      Delete
  10. I've never been in treatment, because I've been so terrified my mom finding out that it has beaten the terror towards food... and since I'm Ednos it's surely little different. There's not too much options available.
    I've talked to some professional people about my problems but the first one crushed me and didn't listen the slightest what was I willing to do. The other one jumped around like ADHD chicken and mixed me with another patient. Both of them tried to say that I should go therapy but... well. Never did. Just said that fuck, I'm not going because I can beat this if I want to and it doesn't matter where I am. It might be slower this way cuz I have to figure out everything, but at least I'll save myself from medication piles and those "professionals".

    So I guess I'd rather not go in treatment. Instead I've been thinking some self improvement groups or something... that would support me the best I think because in the end I love to solve my problems by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tatyana,

      I understand you not wanting to go treatment, a lot of people don't want to go.
      I hope you find some relief from your eating disorder, you're very brave to tackle it yourself,

      Love x

      Delete
  11. Just found your blog. Fucking awesome. Noce to follow someone else dealing with addiction issues. I'm honestly shocked that it took me this long....

    Looking forward to reading.

    I've never been in treatment for ED, just suicide and overdoses.

    3x

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there,

    I've never come across another person dealing with both heroin and an eating disorder. Welcome to my blog!

    Don't hesitate to contact me if you ever want to chat,
    Am going to check out your blog now,

    Much love x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x