Friday 17 August 2012

Adventures In Cork

First I want to say a big THANK YOU to the lovely Aggy over at Rhinocratic Oaths for nominating me for an award. I will get around to doing the rules some time this weekend
Love you Aggy you are an inspiration!

My trip to Cork got off to an interesting start
Tuesday morning myself, my sister, my mother and my aunt piled in to my mothers little Yaris and set off on our 'girlies road trip'
I had been suffering the mother of all toothaches for a few days already, hoping against hope that it would go away of it's own accord
But the thought of the 6 hour drive to Cork was to much to bear so I made the announcement that I need to see a dentist 'tout suite'
At this point I must stress how much I hate going to the dentist
Years of drug abuse, methadone and bulimia have really taken their toll on my teeth and every time I go to the dentist he finds a multitude of things wrong
I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to be seen straight away at the first dentist I called in to
My sister came with me for moral support
The dentist examined my teeth and came to the conclusion that I needed 1 extraction and 8, yes 8 fillings
Next he stuck me in the mouth with 2 enormous needles and I was left alone to wait for my gum to numb
A few minutes later and I'm all numb
I really couldn't feel any pain as he tried to yank my tooth out but the noises alone were enough to make me pull my knees up to my chest and pray for him to finish quickly
With one last crack and crunch he pulled the guilty culprit out
Relief, oh the relief
He then called my sister in and spoke to her like she was my mother
I'm sure he thought I was a lot younger than I actually am
So I made another appointment for another 2 fillings next week, I'm dreading it already
He was a lovely man though, I had to tell him I was on methadone and he was concerned but wasn't patronising the way so many people can be
So all in all it was a pretty positive experience and I was able to continue our road trip

I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to the drive down so I dosed myself with medication and slept most of the way
Eventually we arrived at our B & B, myself and my sister sharing a room
I love being around my sister, we act like a couple of dorks and crack each other up
She really is a good influence, she's a good person with just the right amount of crazy
Of course food was a problem and bulimia showed up uninvited but doesn't she always do that
Just because I'm on holiday doesn't mean she is
Breakfast was included in the B&B and it was actually a bit of a revelation for me
I never eat breakfast and do most of my eating in the evening
But while I was away I had a cooked breakfast, bacon, egg and sausage
It filled me but it wasn't too filling and it kept me going until the evening
Why wasn't I told about breakfast before?, I mean where have I been that I didn't realise this already
Mary is always telling me to eat breakfast, that it's the most important meal of the day but part of me didn't quite believe her
I know protein keeps you fuller for longer but I usually go for carbs
I won't be having a cooked breakfast every morning but I'll definitely be having something from now on so I won't get so hungry that I need to binge

I wrote in my last post about how I put my 'anorexic' jeans away
So I decided to get a pair to replace them
So I went in to fat face and tried on a lovely navy pair in a size UK 8
I thought they fit perfectly in the shop but then wearing them I realised they were too big
Part of me is secretly happy they are too big and it is slightly triggering
I 've been lucky enough to have had 2 holidays this summer and I suppose both my eating disorder and recovery have been put on hold
Getting away really has been the best medicine I could have taken
It has reawakened my love of travel. of people, dare I say it, of food
I guess it makes me remember that there is a whole world out there, that the world does not revolve around me and my eating disorder
I haven't weighed in a long time and that has been a huge step
I used to weigh up to 20 times a day obsessively
But I can't take the risk anymore
Those little numbers can have a devastating effect
If the number is up I spiral in to a black hole of dpression
If the number is down I sky rocket in to euphoria
Those little numbers dictate my mood, my self worth and my self esteem
It's just not worth it anymore

Instead of telling you all about Cork I thought I would post some photos instead, a picture paints a thousand words and all that

By the way the first one is of me straight after coming out of the dentist













Enjoy...................

8 comments:

  1. Honey I am so glad you got seen too and aww your poor swollen face.. first I thought you were just making a face! Haha the pictures.. I love them "Keep Calm, Sure It'll Be Grand, Like" I can just imagine that being said in the accent - that is absolute quality! wow.. my doctors always banging on to me about breakfast.. like you I never bought into it.. maybe I should try it.. but fear stops me. I am glad you had a good time hun! <3
    love you always xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rayya,

    Yea my face is still swollen, he told me not to smoke but I did so I'm sure that didn't help matters
    Yes, of all the things I've lost I'm glad that I still have my sense of humour

    All my love x

    ReplyDelete
  3. that card with the two dolls intertwinned - that is nicola ceccoli -
    http://www.nicolettaceccoli.com/
    her stuff is amazing and a massive inspiration to my childrens art.

    you really are totally adorable, and you are brave for going to the dentist and being honest :-)

    yeah, i find when i have 'lunch' breakfasts I dont binge at all. by lunch breakfast i mean i eat lunch at breakfast and skip lunch and just have some fruit if necessary.

    love you little one, sorry i think all the words have crawled out my mouth like little ladybugs fleeing for life, and i cant seem to find many around me at the moment. but i love you, i love the cute pictures, and your posts xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sweet P

    I love that picture and I ha no idea whose it was

    Yes, call me slow but breakfast is a friggin' revelation to me
    I'll probably revert back to my old ways now I'm home

    I love you too,

    Please take care of you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dentists are fucking scary fullstop! *Hugs* You look like you just survived a trip through the Chamber of Horrors and came out with his limbs in a bag :p

    I've never been able to do without breakfast. Anything else is fine, but if I don't get the initial fuel in by body goes "Nah, fuck you!" and I get massive Hanger :(

    I love the Cork photos, I really do. You guys look like you had so much fun! The motorbike, please tell me you took it for a joyride!

    Not weighing yourself for ages is awesome. You're right, it's not worth letting the little fucker dictate your day. Come smash mine for me?

    I hope you have a good weekend and the fillings go smoothly. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Peri,

    Yes, I have another dentist app on Tuesday and am already having nightmares. My teeth are in really bad nick though, I need to get them sorted.

    I didn't get to ride the motorbike, it was just parked at the side of the road.

    Yea, we had great fun on our 'girlies road trip'

    Glad you like the photos

    Love you too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been a breakfast person, never skipped it (unless fasting.) I have crazy blood sugar so need to eat in the morning (faint otherwise), even if it is just fruit. I tend to skip the evening meal if I'm restricting! I had a big fry up when I got off the plane (when I came back) they are AMAZING! Totally forgot how amazing they are! =D

    Glad you had a good time with your sister, and totally relate on the dentist thing. I just chicken out myself...

    As for the award, you truly deserve it!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah thank you Aggy,

    It truly made my day when I saw you had nominated me for it

    I'm definitely a breakfast convert although I have slipped back in to old behaviours now that I'm home
    I love that tomorrow is Monday though, brand new day, brand new week, perfect for a fresh start

    Hope you are well and settling in back home x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x