Wednesday 27 June 2012

There's something about Mary

I'm just back from seeing Mary
I was actually looking forward to seeing her as it's been 2 weeks since my last appointment
I was excited to tell her of recent developments
I explained about my findings about the olanzapine and how I had stopped taking it
I told her how my mood had improved greatly and I had renewed energy and zest for life
She expressed concern at stopping it so abruptly and encouraged me to speak to my doctor
I told her I had experienced on withdrawel symptoms but said I would speak to him
It's true though, I have a sudden burst of energy and vigour, I feel alive for the first time in a long time
I'm feeling creative and have an urge to write
I've always loved reading and English at school but my brother is a writer and I thought it was his thing so didn't continue writing after I left school
But now and ever since starting this blog I feel the need to write more an more
So I'm going to
It was strange today, we didn't even mention food until about half way through the session
I told her that the binging and purging has decreased and my obsession with food has lessened somewhat
One of the side effects of olanzapine is hyperphagia (obsessive hunger) and I definitely think I experienced that. I was constantly hungry and was always thinking about what I would eat next
This feeling hasn't gone away but has certainly improved
Pursuing other interests has meant their is less space in my head to think about food
She asked about the shoplifting and I confessed that I hadn't managed to get it under control
She suggested that I tell my mother  so she could support me
Up until now I've been avoiding telling her, I just don't want to disappoint her but Mary reminded me that my mother said at our meeting that nothing could shock her anymore
And I do believe this, she has been surrounded by addicts her whole life, sometimes I wonder how she has stayed sane
I was wondering what you thought, do you think I should tell her?
I'd love to know what you think
Then it was time for the dreaded weigh in
It never gets any easier
I knew my weight already as I checked this morning
No change
To my horror her scale read that I had put on 2 kilo
My heart sank in to my stomach and my mood plummeted
Tears stung my eyes as I stared in disbelief
I couldn't understand it ]
When I told my mother afterwards she said 'that couldn't be right, you look like you've lost weight'
I should have asked Mary to recheck it but I just couldn't think straight
I immediately started plotting my next fast in my head
Mary tried to calm me, tried to reason with me
She said that the number didn't mean anything, it's just a number
It's doesn't change the person I am or the positive changes I've made
It doesn't mean I'm fat or ugly or lazy or worthless
Then why do I feel that way
Through tears I told her I felt my eating disorder was slipping away and that made me sad
She asked me to describe my eating disorder
I compared it to an abuser
It grooms you and seduces you and makes promises that you will be happy if you do what it says
Once it has lured you in it turns on you and shows it's true colours but you still return to the abuser again and again in the hope things will change
Even though it's killing me I am holding on for dear life
I'm not ready to let go yet
We wrapped up the session with writing down my next steps which are to tackle the purging and shoplifting
I like Mary, she has such great insight, not just about eating disorders but about life
I'm glad to have met her

Since I've started writing this blog almost 2 months ago I've met some wonderful people. Writing this blog has definitely helped me a lot. I follow a lot of different blogs and since I've started 2 bloggers have left the blogosphere and another 1 is taking a break from blogging.
The first blogger left to pursue recovery and the second blogger found that their blog was unhealthy and wanted to live life in the real world. I think the blogger who is taking a break is thinking about recovery.
This is bitter sweet for me as I miss these bloggers but I also totally understand their need to pull back. I don't consider myself to be pro-ana but don't judge those who are and often read pro-ana blogs. I can understand how blogging could become unhealthy or even become a trigger.
If someone is choosing recovery I see how they might like to make a clean break and start afresh.
I often find myself retreating into the internet rather than dealing with real life.
I probably have more contact with people on-line than I do with my real friends.
Although I miss these bloggers I am delighted to know that they are choosing recovery and I sincerely hope they find health and happiness.
With that said I wanted to ask you some questions,
Do you consider yourself pro-ana?
Do you consider this blog to be pro-ana?
What does pro-ana mean to you?
I don't consider myself to be pro-ana as I didn't choose this illness and I don't like to encourage or promote unhealthy weight loss
I'm very ambiguous about recovery but I am trying to get well
I want to want recovery if that makes sense
I'd love to know what you think

Anyway I digress
The much anticipated wedding is just over 4 weeks away
I have the strongest urge to lose as much weight as possible but I am trying to fight it
Part of me is looking forward to it but part of me is dreading it
I love Italian food and that's what scares me
What if I lose all control and become an out and out binge monster
Holidays make me anxious because I like to know in advance where and what I'll be eating
On the flip side I love travelling
I love everything about it, the packing, the airport (great place for people watching), new places, new people, the weather, everything (apart from the food)
I love the way you can be whoever you want to be and no one knows your history
You can start afresh every single day
Instead of Ruby the anorectic drug addict, I can be anyone I want
I can be me

Thanks for reading this and as always lots of love to you x

17 comments:

  1. I am glad you have Mary too, I feel I withdraw into blogging sometimes too much and that makes me feel like distancing myself from this. I am happy for anyone that chooses recovery and wants to give it a good shot, I call my blog "pro-ana" but I think personally it means something different to me than other people.
    I hate my ED, yet I cant let it go. I didnt choose to have one, I didnt know I had one until it was too late, and like you I refused to believe it. I am "pro" it for myself, as the alternatives are far to scary. I dont encourage others to attain to have this, because it is such a destructive and emotionally grueling disorder that eats away at your very being.. yet I am pro Ana in the sense that I dont choose recovery, I wish I could and have flirted with the thought of it yet I cant, I dont choose to get better even though I hate the ED.. which hardly makes sense but I guess thats me all over.
    Also, I think you should tell your mum, she may already know and she will be proud of you for "fessing up".

    Lots of love <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same too sometimes, hours go by and I haven't looked up from the computer screen. I find this blog helpful at the moment and I hope it stays that way. I suppose everything in moderation is a good rule of thumb. Thanks for the advice, I think I will tell my mother. Lots of love sweetie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog so much. I can relate to so much of what you say. Things I've never even thought about suddenly make perfect sense when I'm reading what you write.
    If you truly want to stop the shoplifting you should tell your mum, but if you're not sure then it's up to you. I find that I'll only tell someone a secret if I really want help, otherwise it's easier to hide it from the world.
    As for your questions, I wouldn't say my blog is pro-ana, my blog is definitely more about my failings and aims than hints and tips for weight loss; I hope I don't encourage anorexia in any way. Yet at the same time I do support pro-ana sites, when I first started dieting I looked through a lot of them, not because I was seeking an eating disorder, but because I was desperate and I knew I needed to lose weight to be happy. I think the anti-pro ana movement can be unfair, no pro ana site can 'give' you an eating disorder, if you didn't want to lose weight drastically then you wouldn't read the sites.
    Sorry for my ramble there.
    I'm so glad that your purging is starting to get more controllable, and that you no longer have to rely on your anti-anxiety pills. You're so strong. I hope you're well and you've had an amazing day.
    So much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely, you are right, if I want help and want to stop I will ask for it, you just helped me make my decision, I think I will tell her. I wanted to so much today but couldn't find the right moment,
      I hope you are well and minding your lovely self,
      Lots of love x

      Delete
  4. I think pro-ana is such a ridiculous term. It’s like saying pro-depression pro-schizophrenia or pro-even-worse. I love your writing and your personality (or whats visible of it here) I believe that you want to get better. I can only speak for myself but I do feel a lot better now, but getting better does not have to mean getting big. I have been far worse 15 lbs above my current weight, and I have been really bad when I was – lets say “a lot” below my current weight. I might get hate comments for that (yeah right I know 15 is not low enough to qualify me for…whatever!) but I also felt a lot fatter at a BMI of 15 than I do now with my 18.5 BMI. It’s ridiculous, but it’s true.(maybe its because your brain does not work properly due to the low blood sugar levels) But for me it was never about being skinny in the first place, starvation just reduced all my problems to one simple single horrid issue. You are so multidimensional and you will find a lots of others things to define your identity but ex-drug user and anorexic/bulimic. There is so much more there, underneath the surface and brightly shining through already.

    Love,
    L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loulou, I love the way you put things they way I can really understand. I can relate so much, I was equally sick at 130lbs as I was at 77lbs. To begin with for me also it wasn't about weight, I wasn't even aware I had an eating disorder until a couple of years later. I am seeing more and more that the number on a scale doesn't define me, It can't.
      I'm looking forward to finding out what else I'm really about.
      As always thank you,
      All my love x

      Delete
  5. I love traveling too but I really fear the vacation eating. The disruption of my normal food routines and the fear of weight gain. I don't think my blog is pro ana. I'm not holding up ED behaviors as some lifestyle or promoting it per se. Just talking about my day to day issues with it. I think you should tell your mom. You are on the right track so that will be part of trying to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you consider yourself pro-ana?
    The whole it is a lifestyle not a diese thing bugs me. and even if you start out just dieting to loss a few lbs if your mind is not right it can suck you in. I do love looking at thinspo but then I am depressed because they are pics of very young girls and I am no where near young anymore. so I dont know

    Do you consider this blog to be pro-ana?
    No I like reading your struggles, and achievements. I must say and no fault to you it does get me thinking about my drug days sometimes but hell I have had movies and commercials do that to me.
    What does pro-ana mean to you?
    I guess I would classify pro-ana as a wanna-be glorifying this issue. We all want to be skinny but we all talk about our demons also and how they control us. nothing pisses me off more is when a cleb claims they had an ED for 3 month then got help WTF really try 30 years and still suffering!!
    I also want to say I really do love your blog. you have so many comments sometimes that I dont leave one but I do read every time you write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Linny, I enjoy your blog too and I can relate a lot especially because I think we are close in age and both have drug histories. Yea sometimes films or even songs can bring me right back to using, I think they call it euphoric recall.
    Sending you lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I am responding late. I went to work today and stuff. Anyway I am glad to hear that since being off the pill you are feeling better and more alive. That makes me happy to hear.

    I am sad to hear about the gain. Now I am wondering if this your body readjusting to not having the meds. I do believe you have lost weight. Maybe in inches but that doesn't mean we don't want to see it on the scale too. *hugs*

    I am sure everything at the wedding will turn out great. Try to enjoy yourself. Hopefully you wont be on those meds that make you so hungry. I believe you are making the right choice by not taking those meds.

    Take care Ruby and keep inspiring people to know you can get better with one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First about pro ana. As for me it's just a term created by media to make this look even more dashy and dangerous. No one can choose an illness and so on... it's just a stupid word that people need to understand why it's so hard to let go. So no, I'm not pro ana and neither I think is your blog.

    And I think you should tell your mom, she's there for you now so trust her. Otherwise it's good for nothing and you'll end up hurting her even more.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tatyana for the advice,
      I think I will tell her,
      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  10. Sounds like things aren't going too badly :) I'm so happy you haven't had any withdrawals, and are feeling better without Olanzapine. It's brilliant that you have the clarity & space in your head to pursue other interests :)

    All the best
    xxBella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bella, it was your comment that prompted me to research it so I am very grateful,
      Hope you are well today x

      Delete
  11. The 2kg could be building muscle mass (Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space and burns more calories at rest than an equal weight of fat would) or water retention or that-time-of-the-month or anything really. The body fluctuates like kids on a see-saw even whan it's at equilibrium.

    Cutting back hardcore for the wedding makes you MORE likely to overeat on tasty wedding foods. Also the decrease in lean muscle mass triggered by a crashdown will lower your metabolic rate and make it MORE likely for your body to store wedding-day noms as fat in an "omgtheresafuckingfaminegoingon" panic.

    Fuck, you knew all that already.

    Take care <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x