Wednesday 13 June 2012

Honesty is the best policy?

I got up early to walk my dogs as I was seeing Mary at 10am
I was so tempted to cancel to avoid the dreaded weigh in but that would just be prolonging the inevitable
She hasn't weighed me in 2 weeks and what with all the binging and purging I've been doing I expected it to be up a couple of kilos

But I went anyway
The first question she always asks is 'how have you been?'
I tell her about my week and how I went to see my doctor and am now going into the chemist twice a week to pick up my meds. I lied and told her I had taken them properly this week.
I don't know why but I just couldn't face telling her I had fucked up again. I hate seeing the look on peoples face when they're disappointed. I wanted to tell her, I really did, I just couldn't find the words.
So I back to square 1 with the meds
Back keeping secrets again
At this point she suggests doing the weigh in. I tell her that I'm not going to look.
I'm dying to know but I know I'll be crushed when I see the number go up
Then I show her my food diary. I hate revealing what I eat and how many times I've purged, yet another thing I want to keep secret. She identifies that I'm leaving too long between eating and this may be why I binge and then purge. She points out that eating little and often would help this. I agree and say I will try but all the while she's speaking I am planning my next binge in my head.
She asks about the shoplifting. I am honest and tell I have a few times.
We come up with ways to stop this like bringing someone with me and not bringing  a bag.
Then she asks me if I'd like to know my weight as it would give an indication to how the b/p is affecting my weight. When she says this I immediately think 'oh fuck, it must be up loads'
In the end it was up 0.3kg from 2 weeks ago
Relief floods through my body, that I can handle
It just goes to show that I can't trust how I feel or even the mirror. I was sure I had gained more.
To enforce her point Mary does a little experiment.
She gets 2 chairs and puts them back to back. She asks me to move them apart so I could walk through them easily. I move them to where I think I could fit through. She asks me to walk through and there is space either side of me. She tells me to move the chairs in to where I am. There is a significant difference.
I'd recommend this experiment if you are trying to get a real picture of your size.
It simple but effective
She then asks me about bringing my mother in to the next session. I'm nervous about this but I know it would help my mother so I agree, the appointment is on Friday and then Mary is on holidays for a week.
She finishes the session in the usual way by asking  me to write down my next steps which are
 - address purging
- address shoplifting
- sort out clothes for Italy
- make daily meal plans

I left the session and could feel a binge coming on.
I drove to the nearest supermarket and stocked up on binge food and shoplifted dog treats.
I know  it makes no sense, you would think I would be all motivated after my session,
Apparently not
So here I am with the day stretching out in front of me with a press full of binge food
I feel guilty for not being honest about my meds and my eating disorder will get great mileage out of that

I was wondering about you, how do you handle binging and purging?
How do you manage to break the neverending cycle?
I guess Mary answered that question for me today, eating regularly. I suppose I'm looking for a quick fix and there probably isn't one
Anyway we''ll see how today goes,

Thanks for reading this and as always much love to you xxx











9 comments:

  1. Ruby :) I am glad you went to see her, she seems really supportive, I hope that you can figure something out to try and stop the cycle. I dont know how to purge - I was always sick as a child and I guess I am phobic of it now.. so I have no idea what advice to give you. I would guess that if you stopped the binge you would kill the purge.. but thats easier said than done! I cant stop bingeing so its rich telling other people to try.. I guess shes right, we are trying so hard to "not eat" that when we let ourselves near food we kind of go beserk and our bodies are on a mental mission to cram in as much food as possible because it doesnt know when we will get it next..

    I hope you figure something out.. I hope you have a better day :) Much love hun <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie, you are right the restriction always leads to binging. I guess the answer is sensible, regular eating, I don't know why I can't just do that. I hope you're well today xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are all looking for a quick fix :) and it's not easy, or quick. I haven't purged in just over 12 weeks now...which isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things considering I've been purging almost daily or restricting for over 2 years of this current episode... but I set a meal plan with my therapist which is "working". There are still days I miss purging...some days I miss it a lot...more for the anxiety relief and the high I get afterwards (I always ate so I could purge, rather than purging because I ate). But now I have increased my calories to about 800-900 a day which feels like a LOT... but so far as been tolerable... more because of my determination to succeed than because I want to break the b/p cycle... but the longer I go, the more I want to go back to it. I have a lot of changes happening right now which make me want to fast and it's getting more and more difficult to stick to my meal plan but I am trying. All we can ever do is try our best. Maybe you could follow Mary's advice and just eat something small every few hours... I try and have small green apples and carrots on hand to snack on every few hours... anything sweet will just trigger a binge because of the effect of the sugar on your brain, so it's best to snack on something savoury like raw vegies. I don't know if this will help... but it's working for me so far. Thinking of you lovely. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment. That's great you haven't purged in 12 weeks, virtual high five. I really think I will follow Mary's advice, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    I wish you all the best with your food plan, you sound like you are doing well. Much love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to find an easy fix for binging and purging, but it hasn't worked for me.
    I even told my friend because I thought if she started to watch what I ate then it would stop, it got worse because she never mentioned it again.
    I hope it goes well with your mum in therapy with you next week. Don't feel too bad about not being 100% honest with Mary, the fact that you're trying to break the cycle is enough. You can't just change a lifetime of habit in a matter of months.
    I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, I'll let you know how Friday goes,
      hope you are well too xxx

      Delete
  6. I don't blame you at all for not telling her about the meds. I mean We don't need her running back to the doc so soon and telling him. I mean let's try and see if we can do right. I know it is hard and I know you are trying so I am not mad or disappointed in you but proud. You have not gone back to the real deal.

    I would love to try the chair thing but I do not own a real chair. Just backless stools.

    I think planning out meals and eating more often is great. But I know that if your body or mind wants to binge. It does matter if you eat already. The binge demands food no matter. But I mean you can try these methods and see if they work for you. For me I have to take appetite suppressants to help with cravings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea hopefully I can sort out the meds myself.
      I think the magical solution to breaking the b/p cycle is good old fashioned regular eating.
      Hope you are well xxx

      Delete
  7. Honesty is good. It reminds me of the quote "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk: It teaches you to keep your mouth shut" ^.^; If you're honest there are fewer things to remember and people trust you to always be straight-up in your opinions. (But nobody likes clothes shopping with you ^.^;)

    When I was on a healthy eating plan for weightloss they told me to have something every 2-4 hours to stop my metabolism slowing down and prevent binges. Maybe that will help? It doesn't have to be a big something, but if it stops you from b/ping is is a good thing!

    i'd try that chair thing but my brain seems to think I'm still 10kg lighter than I am. So not cool D: Maybe when I've lost a bit :p

    Unfortunately there is so such thing as quick fix. I've never let myself start purging, so I'm no help with that. Have you tried YouTube? There are some great bulimia-beating channels that keep being recommended to me :/


    Thank you so much. Nana is doing a lot better. BitchAunt had a go at the rest home staff for letting her get so sick so quick. I saw her legs, she's got infected oedema on both lower legs. . . Eeeew! Lol, at least I know where I got my tiny little ankles from :x She's the only over-70 I've seen who doesn't have default-cankles!

    Oooh, did you know 17% of people on mirtazapine get spontaneous orgasms? At least I think it's mirtazapine, it could be doxepin that does that. Yeah, I gained a bit of weight, but I made it worse because I spent a year bingeing because I had the increased appetite and blood-pressure-lowering side effects on top of normally low BP so I couldn't exercise to offset the gorging. So I felt worse and binged more :/ When your body adjusts to your dosage and if you keep up normal intake&exercise levels it should go away again. I say should coz I'm still bingeing like a pig while training so I'm not losing very fast but not gaining any more. (It DOES taper off, thank goodness) Fuck, did that make sense?

    Try taking it at night to counter the lethargy. If you keep up with the recommended dosage the lethargy disappears after 2 months. Skipping it puts you right back at the start of the starting-up-side-effect-cycle.

    Fuck, remind me to never take methadone, ok? I'd probably only crap once a month! Best brekkie is lots of coffee and porridge made with dried coconut&cinnamon&25g of raisins. So indulgently-tasting for low calories, maximum fibre and extra potassium. Omnomnom!

    Take care <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x